A little bit of advice needed

Discussion in 'Sand Casting' started by Terry1956, Jan 2, 2021.

1. Terry1956

Terry1956 Copper

Hi, I am new to casting. I purchased some casting sand off eBay,but not sure if it’s any good, or even what type it is. It’s like a brown putty, but the lumps don’t break down very well. I have tried to break it down, but I smallest size I can get is peanut size. So my question is, is there something wrong with the sand, is there a better type of sand available in the uk, if so who sells it. Thanks.m

2. HT1

HT1 Gold Banner Member

your going to have to give us some more info , what is the Ebay listing???

V/r HT1

3. Terry1956

Terry1956 Copper

Hi, the listing states it petrobond oil bonded sand. Not sure if there are various types or not.

4. Petee716

Petee716 Gold Banner Member

How about a picture of your sand showing its condition.

Pete

5. Jim Edgeworth

Jim Edgeworth Silver

378EC526-7FDD-4EE6-A21B-597E5DE9F056.jpeg C9C64DD6-6217-4815-9E96-BD4DE66C051C.jpeg Hi Terry,
    To make your own green sand try wickes for Tarmac kiln dried block Paving sand (£4.90/25Kg bag). Wilkinson’s for bentonite clay kitty litter (£2.50/5Ltr-£4 for 2), to powder with the cheapest kitchen blender you can find. Various mixing ratios can be found varying from 6% to 12%, more experienced members will keep you right depending on what material you intend to cast. Thorough mixing with minimal water is needed and again there are lots of good advice on here.

6. HT1

HT1 Gold Banner Member

I'm not sure how to explain this , so Try to be clearer please

You say peanut sized lumps that cannot be crushed??? unused petrobond can be easily kneaded in your hand and it is normally red when new

Here is Our best buddy petrobond for sale , if you try to firmly crush the sand, it will form balls , but if your knead your fingers they will break up, the sand will not powder like dry beach sand if it powderes it needs to be muller (which is often the case with new sand as it is old)

it would help if you posted the URL to the listing or a picture, preferably BOTH
    V/r HT1

[​IMG]

dennis likes this.
  7. dennis

dennis Silver

Yes, I do want that sand!

HT1 likes this.
  8. HT1

HT1 Gold Banner Member

probably 2/3 of my ton came from him, he is back now.

https://petrobondforsale.com/

go get some

V/r HT1

dennis likes this.
  9. dennis

dennis Silver