A wire whisk is handy for cleaning castings

Discussion in 'Foundry tools and flasks' started by Melterskelter, May 12, 2018.

1. Melterskelter

Melterskelter Gold Banner Member

2895EBAA-0724-493F-A0A0-A7B6132FA5FE.jpeg

I just “discovered”a 4” wire whisk and have found it really slick for cleaning the bit of sand that clings to shaken out castings. It gets into nook and crannies better than the more common shaped wire brushes I have used in the past. It does not provide powerful scrubbing action, but that doesn’t seem to be needed.

2. Petee716

Petee716 Gold Banner Member

Where did you find it? It looks like a great weapon to have in the arsenal.

Pete

3. Melterskelter

Melterskelter Gold Banner Member

Pete,
    We have a very good hardware store here in town. Family owned for 60 years, local, and with a very wide and deep stock and sales people that actually know about the goods in their department. (I think it should be declared a "city treasure"---not kidding). I found it there along with myriad other brushes of all description. I think a standard whisk broom might also be handy so probably will be picking one up there on my next almost daily trip.

I see McMaster has something similar though theirs has pretty thick bristles. They call it an applicator brush.

Marshalltown's masonry brush looks like it is essentially the same as what I got.
    https://www.toolfetch.com/marshallt...L1utgwScQwN4q6HuTUi30C0pS-klZkjUaArd-EALw_wcB

Anyway, the style I pictured has just the right combination of stiffness and flexibility to make it really handy. As you say, one of many needed tools needed to get the job done.

Last edited: May 14, 2018
  4. Jason

Jason Gold

I wish our forum displayed a location under the user. A state would be good enough. What say you David?

nvr mind, I see a location, but ya gotta click the user name.

DavidF likes this.