An early siphon-nozzle burner design

Discussion in 'Burners and their construction' started by PatJ, Jan 23, 2018.

1. J.Vibert

J.Vibert Silver

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't premise of a super charger to 'charge' (pressurize) the combustion air for the motor, not necessarily spin the air..?

Isn't that what we use our regular blowers for..?

Seems like wild amounts of complication to a burner build for near to no gain.

The nicest thing about drip burners are their simplicity.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2018
  2. Peedee

Peedee Silver

Isn't that essentially just a home heating furnace? I have one here with a pump driven off the end of a squirrel cage blower.

3. PatJ

PatJ Silver

They sell hydraulic oil pumps for burners, but they are not cheap; last time I checked they were in excess of $400.

And I would want a backup, in case the pump failed in mid-melt, so that is a lot of money tied up in pumps.

The drip-style burner is looking better and better, if I can figure out how to make one work.

4. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Power steering pumps are cheap!!!

5. PatJ

PatJ Silver

The power steering pumps I see on ebay don't have motors, so how do you connect it all up and make it work with an electric motor?

6. DavidF

With an electric motor, belt and pulley.

7. DavidF

8. Jason

Jason Gold

Got a picture of that thing peedee?????

9. Jason

Jason Gold

10. Peedee

Peedee Silver

I'll have to dig it out and take a pic. It never did make it to a melting furnace, one day maybe.

11. Jason

Jason Gold

no worries. The typical car power steering pump runs around 1000 psi. I think they are constant pressure variable flow if memory serves me correctly. I went to hell and back a couple of years ago on an eaton pump on my jag. Found the last sob on earth that knew how to overhaul it. I had concocted a plan to substitute it with a modern one but pressures were off me thinks..

12. J.Vibert

J.Vibert Silver

I've been directed down this road before... ...so much complication.

Personally i thought i was bordering on the edge of reason with just the 12vdc bilge pump i used. The 90vdc spd controlled motor with the retrofitted gear oil pump I have pieced together for an upgrade I'm sure will produce ridiculous amounts of fuel pressure. A power steering pump will net you about 980psi more than you need.

13. _Jason

_Jason Silver

Ok so I fianlly sat down and read through all six pages of this. This is a fascinating discussion, if not a little over my head due to my lack of an engineering background.

My one thought, going back to the supercharger comment, I wonder if you couldn't set up a "carborator" on the intake side of the compressor - like a supercharger - then blow a compressed fuel/air mixture into the furnace combustion chamber? I was thinking about carborated superchargers and how they place the fuel on the intake side because carborators function on suction, not forced air. And, the Delevian nozzle looks like a carborator jet. I think a set up like this would certainly atomize the oil. I'm not sure how you'd fix the location of the flame front though so maybe I'm way off base.

I'm entirely sure I quite understand what I've read in th thread so maybe I'm confused..

14. I thought I'd invented such a concept when I was getting oil on a wire wheel mounted in a dremel tool and it was flung off in a fine mist. I showed it to a friend who laughed and showed me a chapter in his steam textbook on spinning cup oil burners. I'm planning on building one for my oil burner furnace as they don't have any nozzle to clog or wear out. If the spinning cup bearing is mounted a decent distance behind the cup in a copper tube body, any heat can be dissipated quickly into the surrounding forced air flow.

rotary cup burner.jpg

15. PatJ

PatJ Silver

That's pretty clever, and if build correctly, I think would work well.

16. PatJ

PatJ Silver

The first nozzle I bought for a burner was not a siphon nozzle, but rather one for use with a high pressure oil pump, and it looked like this, with a filter on the end of it.
    It will screw onto the same adapter as a siphon nozzle, but it is not a siphon nozzle tip.

I have never used this nozzle since I don't have a high pressure pump (with high pressure being defined in this case as I think 100 psi ?).

Here is a pdf file for the pumped delavan nozzle (requires an oil pump to work).
    http://www.delavaninc.com/pdf/total_look.pdf

DELEVAN-PUMPED-NOZZLE-01.jpg

These nozzles are all for use with an oil pump, and you can get a wide variety of cone angles, as well as hollow or solid cones.

DELEVAN-PUMPED-NOZZLE-02.jpg

And here is a pdf file on this type nozzle.
    http://www.werco.de/pdf/Delavan_Oilnozzles.PDF

17. Apparently a well designed unit will run on thick bunker oil too. I planned to have a reasonably long tubular shaft with 3-4 ball bearings for support so that the drive motor/belts/pulleys are away from the heat and run about a 5/16" copper tube (stationary) up the middle of hollow shaft to supply oil to the cup.

18. PatJ

PatJ Silver

I still want to experiment with a Delavan siphon nozzle turned down to 5 psi compressed air, or even zero psi compressed air, and 5 psi on the fuel tank, and see if it would act just like a typical drip-style oil burner.
    If it starts easily on a low compressed air pressure, and runs on no compressed air (with diesel), then I think I could use a tiny air compressor to start it, and almost no compressed air if only the fuel tank was pressurized.
    A small air compressor would be an ok compromise for me and would not have any moving parts in the burner.

The mechanical slinger is an interesting design though, and I believe it would work well, and with probably not much slinger speed either.

19. PatJ

PatJ Silver

And here is the Delavan siphon nozzle that I use for my burner.
    I use it with 5 psi pressure on the fuel tank to even out any fuel flow variations due to changes in the level of fuel in the tank (I use a tall tank, perhaps 40" tall).

The fuel flow is controlled via a needle valve, which gives a good fine control.

I use a #30509-11 siphon-type nozzle with a #17147 adapter.
    Note that the #17147 adapter is purchased separately from the siphon nozzle.

DELAVAN-SIPHON-NOZZLE-10.jpg

Delavan-Page-01.jpg

Delavan-Page-02.jpg

IMG_4286.jpg

20. Melterskelter

Melterskelter Gold Banner Member

I ran mine with a cooked o-ring for an hour or so before I figure out w hat was going on. It had 3 pounds pressure on the fuel and a blower for secondary air. The furnace was up to full heat when I forgot to remove the burner from the tuyere at shut down pour time. On restart it was very poorly performing and was spitting oil into the red hot furnace. That fuel vaporized alright. But the furnace pulsates very prominently with each flash of fuel vaporization and I could not get it back to near the temp acheived with the intact oring. Saved my crucible by the good luck of local hardware store stocking Viton orings of the correct size. Got it changed out while the furnace was still red. With the oring replaced smooth operation and very high heat resumed.

This makes me think that the wonderfully fine atomization the nozzle produces of diesel is an essential part of its successful operation. I could have melted aluminum with it spitting, but not iron. I use a small pancake compressor at 5 to 10 psi. Turning the to zero also degrades performance similar to that noted with the cooked o-ring. About 10 psi seems to be a sweet spot for my setup. Then again, I am a rank beginner just learning the ropes. But even a beginner can melt iron with a Hago .75gph siphon nozzle.

Denis