Another lightweight fiber blanket furnace

Discussion in 'Furnaces and their construction' started by Tobho Mott, Apr 29, 2019.

1. Tobho Mott

Tobho Mott Silver Banner Member

Yeah, we do, I get the reference. And I definitely agree, this Satanite stuff is really easy to work with, and these type of furnace seem to work great. I just broke in the new furnace and my newly tempered #6 clay graphite crucible pouring some aluminum using the hot shot just in preheat mode (5psi propane with a hair dryer for a blower, never hooked up the drip and left the noisy shop vac in the shed). I saw molten metal in the crucible at the 9 minute mark and was opening the furnace to skim and pour by 15. Sometimes I'm able to switch over to diesel or wvo after 10 minutes of preheat when I use the big furnace...

Here's the goofy spooky test ingot I poured. Should fit back in the crucible nicely if nobody I know around here wants a free paperweight.

PhotoPictureResizer_190609_014038163_crop_2020x2691-1010x1346.jpg

Time will tell how much maintenance the new furnace will need compared to my other one, which needs hardly any.

Jeff

joe yard likes this.
  2. oldironfarmer

oldironfarmer Silver Banner Member

Looking great!

We're not having a race, but for reference, my brick furnace is ready for a little oil at about 1-1/2 to 2 minutes and full oil no propane 30 seconds later. It's ready to pour at 20 minutes if I keep the burner turned down.

3. Tobho Mott

Tobho Mott Silver Banner Member

Final build video, showing the Satanite application and the test run the using the big furnace's Hot Shot burner running 5psi propane (ie. in preheat mode), except with a much smaller blower. All of which has been documented already in recent posts above:

Mark's castings likes this.