Any hams out there?

Discussion in 'General foundry chat' started by Intergalactic Captain, Apr 18, 2019.

1. Ok, so it's spring/early summer in WNY - but not necessarily a friendly one. Wild temperature swings, but stupidly outrageous winds and/or rains to hamper the best ones. As such, I've only got a handful of melting days in so far - And I wish I had pictures! The new furnace/burner setup is soooo much more efficient than what I had last year that I can't believe I even managed to do what I did back then. All I can say is that there's nothing wrong with nothing with naturally aspirated propane, so long as you do it right and get lucky as hell ;). . .

That said, how bout the question in the title? Any of you guys on the air?

I got my license in 2010 - few years after the morse-code elimination - that was the only thing that held me back when I was a kid - I don't do new languages. . . General class, for what its worth. And I've done nothing with it. That said, with the proliferation of cheap chinese radios, there's essentially no reason to not jump back in. So I did. I originally bought the same radios my employers did as a simple FU, (you need to understand how FCC P.90 works), but realized there might be something better. . .

So I did some dicking around and managed to make a local contact through my UV-5R - Through a repeater 15 miles away. Nagoya 701 antenna w/ rattail for what its worth. Good chat, but I'm terrified to get back on - I monitored their net meeting, seem like OK folks, but anxiety and whatnot. . . . Although listening to their last RACES net, I think I might be all right.

Anyways. . .

Notice how I said 2010? That means I have to renew my license next year. I only ever got it on a drunken lark, and only ever used it as a line on a resume, and only never updated my address. After that first contact, I began the long (not really) and stupid (-ly) insecure process of updating my address, in preparation of joining the local radio club and renewing my license.

Hmmm. . . I suppose most, if not all of that is going to translate as alcohol-fueled gibberish. So, the original question - Are any of you hams? I know we all fall into the category of eccentrics, so extraneous hobbies are fair game. I am not going to post my call sign here (yet), but if you're in WNY send me a PM and we can try a scheduled contact. I'm playing around with a new antenna, but the local 2M/70cM scene is dead. I fully intend to play with HF when I can, but that requires more expensive equipment and antennae and such. . .

Anyways - Thoughts? Any of you guys hams, or future hams?

2. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

I have enough hobbies... But Moya is on the air. There is a burner named after him :) Ill see if I can rustle him up for you.. Whats you call number (guess thats what you call it?)

3. dkmc

dkmc Lead

WNY here also, PM sent

4. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Moya is W3vd

5. joe yard

joe yard Silver

KA9UCN This has been my call sign for around 35 years. I have not been active on the radio in a few years.
    Joe

Last edited: Apr 19, 2019
  6. Jason

Jason Gold

OU812......:p or you can try 8675309

7. With cracks like that you may need a good legal team, may I suggest

Dewey, Cheatham, and Howe.

8. Jason

Jason Gold

Hehe.. I've got Boggis, Bunce & Bean..
    "one short, one fat, one lean"