Argon Cylinder Cart

Discussion in 'Foundry tools and flasks' started by Al2O3, Oct 6, 2019.

1. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Been meaning to make a cart for a long time. Finally got around to doing it with a little therapeutic fab session.

1 Cart With Bottle.JPG

2 Argon Cart Features.jpg

Folds up.....

3 Cart Folded.JPG

...and clamps to the edge of my welding table. All that plumbing hanging on there is so I can meter a small flow of Ar to my degassing lance.

4 Clamped to Table.JPG

Best,
    Kelly

Tobho Mott and joe yard like this.
  2. Jason

Jason Gold

Looks good Kelly. Allow me to show you the professional version to carry the big boys. Yes it folds up. New, I've heard these are about 900buckeroos!:eek: Anything near an airplane is expensive!

20171004_173945.jpg

20171004_173952.jpg

20171004_174029.jpg

Last edited: Oct 6, 2019
  3. PatJ

PatJ Silver

That is a nice cart.
    I think I would add a guard either side of the valve.

A guy I know told me a story about an oxygen cylinder falling over and sheering off the valve.
    He said it went up 30 feet to the ceiling, over to the wall, across the floor, back up to the ceiling, etc. for about 30 seconds, taking out anyone/anything in its path.

4. Petee716

Petee716 Gold Banner Member

That sounds like the time I carried my cat into the vet's office in my arms instead of a carrier.
    Pro tip: Dont do that!

Pete

5. Jason

Jason Gold

Wife and I were cleaning some glue off the floor in the kitchen with MEK. Back door was open, cat snuck in and walked through it. Wife had me put the cat in the bathtub to clean it's feet. When I turned on the water, that thing clawed his way up my chest, over my shoulder and down my back. I didn't have a shirt on! Don't do that either!

Tobho Mott likes this.
  6. OMM

OMM Silver

Interesting build and I do like the bench clamp. Have you found any side twisting or racking from the single leg??? I would be more apt to build like Jasons with the bottom pivot. You can definitely do this with one wheel still.

7. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

No twisting or racking. It's so light with the small cylinder and the hinge joints are quite tight. It spends 90% of the time clamped to the side of my welding bench. I debated even putting a caster on the third leg. When I move it any significant distance it's on two wheels. It was more important to me that the stored footprint was small but the tripod is a very broad stable base.

Best,
    Kelly