Backyard Casting Fails

Discussion in 'General foundry chat' started by PatJ, Jan 14, 2018.

1. HT1

HT1 Gold Banner Member

all I saw was a Zinc Flare on a VERY High Zinc content Brass, that was overheated . I've been involved in pours that looked like that when we had to get a part that was really thinner then we should be trying. on a Monday it will give you the Fever (shrug)

V/r HT1

2. Jason

Jason Gold

So I'm right then? This shitshow was brass and not bronze?

3. PatJ

PatJ Silver

A couple of items in this video stand out and are worth mentioning.

If you are experimenting with oil burners, it is a really good idea to wear a full face shield, and make your adjustments with the lid open; only closing the lid when you are sure it is all adjusted and working correctly.
    See 4:20.

And as mentioned before, keep the furnace away from the garage.
    You can see a propane bottle and a gas can within a little more than arms reach of the furnace; no reason for that.

Be careful; be safe; wear a face shield; don't try to melt metal and learn how to operate a burner at the same time.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2018
  4. Jason

Jason Gold

Nice CONCRETE furnace.

5. Petee716

Petee716 Gold Banner Member

His lid looked like a pitchfork frozen in a cow pie. Awesome! The future is grim for that furnace no doubt.

Pete

6. HT1

HT1 Gold Banner Member

[​IMG]

Jumping Jesus on a Pogo Stick You have to warn a guy about the "Shakey Camera" the Neighbors baby across the street got "shaken baby syndrome " just being in the same neighbor hood as I while watching that, I had a seizure and bit the tip of my tongue. WARNINGS please!!!

7. PatJ

PatJ Silver

I have told this story before, but it is worth repeating if it prevents others from making the same mistake.

When I was 17, I made a vertical fire-tube steam boiler, and one day I tried firing it with some wet wood.
    I used a blowtorch and had trouble getting the wood burning, although I did get it smoldering.

I decided to jump-start burning process, and so I poured about half a gallon of diesel fuel into the fire box.
    It started smoking profusely, and as I stood up and slammed the fire door closed (luckily it did not have a latch), the fumes combusted and it blew a 12" diameter fireball shaft out the door horizontally for about ten feet, and right past my blue jean-covered legs.

Luckily I survived unscathed (I got very lucky), but there was a huge cloud of smoke in the air, and it made a big bang when it went off.
    My mother ran out of the house and said "What the %&*#$^ was that?".
    Just making a little steam I said very sheepishly. I remember shaking like a leaf.
    She was very wary of my steam experiments, and for good reason.

Luckily the fire door was not facing towards the house, else I would have had to put the house out.

8. Jason

Jason Gold

Steam experiments? When were you born, 1885?:p Back in the airforce, we always had half a rubber bucket of jp-8 laying around the hangars. When the new kids would show up, I'd toss a lit cigarette into the bucket. You should have seen the kids dive for the grass with that one. It would go right out. It's not the liquid but the fumes that get you every time. Now servicing LOX bottles on a vw truck over the engine compartment in the back was another one of my not so smart moves. Young and dumb, but oh so fun!

9. PatJ

PatJ Silver

It was my 12th grade science project, a steam engine and boiler.
    I got an A on it, not because I followed any established rules of proving or disproving scientific theory as I should have done, but just because the teacher never thought I could pull off such a thing.

When I initially told him what I planned to make for my project, he just scoffed at me and totally dismissed the idea.
    It was obvious to him that nobody makes their own boiler and steam engine, but I proved him wrong, and he was very shocked when I set it up and ran it (so shocked that he gave me an "A"), and he said "I never dreamed anyone could do that'.

I sold the boiler years ago for a pretty good amount of money, but I still have the steam engine in my garage.
    It was crude, but it ran well, and still runs well.

12-grade-sci-project-01.jpg

12-Grade-Sci-Project-02.jpg

Edit:
    LOL, yes I was born in the late 50's, so pretty much approaching dinosaur age at this point, but not quite dead yet (like the guy in the Monty Python movie in the "bring out your dead" scene who keeps saying "I'm not dead yet"). See 0:48.
    I keep telling my wife "I'm getting better", but she says like in the movie "No your not".

Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
  10. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Did you mention you flew F-16s? Which block? We manufactured most of the life support equipment systems on F-16s (and/or most other contemporary US military fighter aircraft), and I was the development engineer on a good deal of it......but lox converters (these had been in service quite a while by the time I arrived), g-valves (but not the jerkin garmet, nor mask itself), dilution regulators, g-compensated regulators ("Combat Edge" was USAFs program name back in the day), chest mounted mini-regs, emergency O2 bailout system if you pulled the green apple, On Board Oxygen Generating Systems (OBOGS), and a bunch of other things including over water bailout stuff for the Navy pilots. Spent plenty of time with pilots and AFBs and airframe manufacturers.

Best,
    Kelly