Be thankful for what you have

Discussion in 'General foundry chat' started by DavidF, Dec 12, 2017.

1. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

I received news that my brother in law suffered a stroke 12/11/17 at 9 pm and is currently in the ICU with my sister and his 87 year old mother by his side.
    Apparently he was eating a bowl of ice cream and after finishing it said "Oww F#$K my head" . My sister thought he was having a brain freeze (and jokingly commented) until he slumped over. He has suffered a massive aneurysm and has been unresponsive for over 24 hours now. They drilled a hole in his head to relieve the pressure but are unable to stop the bleeding. I cant imagine what my sister is going through right now, they have been together for over 30 years now. Im hoping for the best but the only reassurances i have so far is that his vitals are stable. .
    Its getting late, and Im dwelling on this too much. But the next time you are sitting down having a bowl of ice cream thinking that you are in control of the direction of your life... you may just want to think again.
    Heading out to the hospital in the am.....

2. I'm sorry to hear about your Brother in Law, it's so random how these things happen. If he recovers it's going to be impossible to tell the level of impairment: a good friend had a massive stroke in an area that should have killed him instantly, he surprised the doctors with an almost complete recovery and needs a walking stick. He did lose his career as a ship's captain however, one stroke and they revoke all your qualifications.

3. Tobho Mott

Tobho Mott Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Damn... Best wishes for your sister and her family, hope he has a good recovery.

Jeff

4. Petee716

Petee716 Gold Banner Member

Sorry for your family's difficulty David. You're right it's awfully easy to lose sight of how good things are until something like this happens.

Pete

5. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Very sorry to hear this David. Thoughts and prayers for your Brother in-law and your family.

Best,
    Kelly

6. Negativ3

Negativ3 Silver

Sorry to hear of your troubles David. Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

7. OCD

OCD Silver

So sorry to hear about this David.
    I lost my only brother 3 years ago to a aneurysm.

Be there for each other in a dire time such as this.

Prayers sent for all of you.

8. Jammer

Jammer Silver Banner Member

Sorry to hear that David, He'll be in our prayers.

9. Jason

Jason Gold

So sorry David. Any update on his condition? Tell him a bunch of strangers on your metal forum are pulling for him. My 41yr old brother in law just had a mini stroke last month. Scary stuff!
    Every day is a gift, make the most of it!

10. Mister ED

Mister ED Silver

Prayers out to your brother in law and all your family in this difficult time.

11/2/15 I also had a mini stroke, that date is engrained in my mind just like 9/11 or 12/7. I did not understand at first, what had happened, had never heard of a mini stroke before. Lets just say once I understood I was scared sheetless.

11. Peedee

Peedee Silver

So sorry to hear this and my very best wishes. My wife's sister called us Sunday to say she only has months left with a lung condition, age is no boundry to these things.

12. Jason

Jason Gold

Any word yet?

13. DavidF

They had the priest come in tonight and will be taking him off the ventilator in the morning.

14. Jason

Jason Gold

Oh man... sad to hear that. Anything we can do to help the family?

15. DavidF

I cant think of anything that you could do for them but I ask you all to do one thing for yourselves. Stop putting things off that you can do with your own family tomorrow and do them today.

16. Jason

Jason Gold

17. PatJ

PatJ Silver

Golden advise for sure.

18. OCD

OCD Silver

My heart goes out to your sister, you and your family.
    May God ease the pains and sorrows you all are having to deal with.
    I wish there was something I could say or do to ease the pain but there really isn't, it's just going to take time.

And I totally agree with David about the family thing.

If only families would put the senseless bickering aside and enjoy each other just a little more they would realize how much they truly love one another and realize how much they mean to each other as well.

Material possessions mean nothing, they're just clutter we acquire while we're alive and usually the more clutter we have the more headaches we have.

My brother whom I lost to the same way was my closest & best friend.
    He was also my big brother by 3 years but the funny thing was it seemed like I was the one always taking care of him.

We could tell each other anything without having to worry about what the other would think or worry about being judged by the other.
    We were family and was always there for one another no matter what.

Life is Sooo short, don't put off for tomorrow what you should do today.
    If you have family members your at odds with call them up or go see them.

Some times it even takes saying your sorry even if you weren't the cause of the dispute to mend things.
    Be a bigger person and set an example by swallowing your pride for the better cause of uniting your family members.
    It doesn't matter if you were in the right or wrong, it's a matter of fixing what's broken.
    Words are a minor thing but can heal and mend so many issues if handled correctly.

There's a saying; If you not part of the solution then your part of the problem.

If you have solemnly given a true effort in attempting to reunite family relations to no avail at least you won't feel life you should have done more after they are gone.
    Reality is, some things just can't be fixed.

David, you and your family are in my prayers.