Box furnace... Might happen

Discussion in 'Furnaces and their construction' started by Kurtis Kiesel, Aug 10, 2018.

1. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Why not just use SS? Wouldn't that hold up better? Or just coat the top of the steel in perforated refractory.

Or just have the refractory floor in place with perforations for the wax to flow through. Then you wouldn't have to open and close the bottom?

2. Tobho Mott

Tobho Mott Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

The refractory floor with perforations to let the wax out sounds good. How many perforations, and how big though? Balancing act, how easily the flaming wax can drip out vs how much heat you're letting escape... Remember, he said he needs the doors closed to actually fire the dewaxed shells.

Jeff

3. Jason

Jason Gold

Stainless does the same thing as mild steel. He tried a refractory floor. Good luck getting wax to flow through that without going up in flames. His original concept is brilliant. Mesh floor with hinging refractory doors. The only downside is you will have to plan on replacing the steel floor regularly. Not a big deal really, steel is cheap.

4. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Depends where you buy it. Home depot steel is crazy expensive. I spent 80 bucks on 3x8ft 1 inch square tubing. I wish I could find it cheaper in bulk. Maybe a steel yard can order me some?

Honestly I usually just let the wax burn away. My wax catch pan catches on fire almost every time even with a 1.5 ft drop into water so there isn't much left anyway.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2018
  5. Jason

Jason Gold

yeah, ya never buy steel or aluminium at HD unless it's 945 on a saturday night. I have a great steel supply shop right next door to a metal scrap yard. I always check his rusty stuff before buying new steel. I don't really mind grinding off some rust. Look up steel supply in your area, it's GOT to be cheaper than HD. Don't forget to ask for hot rolled. They won't have to order it for you if it's a halfway decent steel yard. Expect to buy 20ft lengths and most will torch it so you can fit it in your car. Cold rolled is always double or more the money. 1" square 14ga hot rolled in my neck of the woods runs around 30bucks for a 20ft stick. side note - bring a jug of acetone and a rag. New steel from a yard is black as hell and will destroy your hands and car! Nasty stuff!

6. Petee716

Petee716 Gold Banner Member

There's a metal fab shop nearby me and a machine shop too that sell me cutoffs that are too small for them too use and too long to just throw away. They call them drops and the fab shop sells it by the lb.. I know Zapins has a relationship with the shop that welded his box, so that might be a resource. They might not be near you at the moment though. We never know where you're hanging your hat, Zap!! Lol.

Pete

7. A stainless steel floor would still be cheaper than carbon steel because it would last several times as long, maybe permanent in that service.