Bulk Scrapping Furnace

Discussion in 'Furnaces and their construction' started by FishbonzWV, Jan 19, 2021.

1. FishbonzWV

FishbonzWV Silver Banner Member

My pile of rims is getting quite large and I would rather melt them in a controllable, less messy fashion.
    I have a burner from a commercial oven and have done a mock up of what I'm thinking.
    IMG_4022.jpg IMG_4023.jpg

I did a test firing with a weed burner wand and the large flame came when I pushed the turbo handle on the wand. I have a 30 psi propane regulator on order for more control.

Before I go any further with this build, I need some guidance from you experienced gurus.
    Since the burner is inside the burn chamber and will be only an inch or so away from the rims, is this thing going to blow up on me if the burner gets red hot????

dennis likes this.
  2. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Is the goal to get the rims hot short for breaking them up or melted and pourable to ingot?

Best,
    Kelly

3. FishbonzWV

I want the drip, drip, drip into ingot trays.

4. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

That will probably still produce a fair amount of dross. -A lot of surface area on those drip-drip-drips. It can also be hard to keep the drip hole from freezing.

Not sure how many rims you have or how much effort you want to put into it but a basin made from something rated for metal contact like castable refractory or maybe fiber board, would allow you to skim and pour your melt ala Yoda. Bet you'd be happier with the resulting ingots.

Best,
    Kelly

5. FishbonzWV

I've got 9 rims to do.
    If the drips are fairly fast they make a nice ingot, if they slow down you get a layered ingot.
    I have a 4" x 4" x 1/2" chunk of steel on legs that goes over the drip hole to keep it open, works like a charm.

Got the regulator today and did another test.The regulator must have an excess flow valve in it. I could get about 3 inches of blue flame and then it would snap and shut down if increased further.
    It looks like option 2 will go into effect too.
    A Rocket stove on the back with the flame entering under and past the burner. That is the red box I drew in picture #1.

One word of caution: if you want to keep your eyebrows and eyelashes, don't wear a hat when sticking your head over the front of the drum. o_O

6. HotRodTractor

HotRodTractor Copper

If you are running it off of a 20lb tank you probably tripped the internal safety valve. I've had a similar issue before when using modern 20lb tanks to test run antique tractors - if the demand gets high enough, the flow speeds up and it snaps shut on you to keep you "safe".

7. Billy Elmore

Billy Elmore Silver

I have a ton of aluminum cans I want rid of and think I may need to build one of these. Something about shoving dirty old cans into my crucible just make me cringe. LOL

8. Petee716

Petee716 Gold Banner Member

Aw dude. Shove those dirty old cans into a plastic bag instead of your crucible. Trade them to your scrapper for a single bell housing and you'll be way ahead! Lol.

Pete

Jason likes this.
  9. Jason

Jason Gold

Just say no to cans! You might as well melt an old ladder or junk window frames. Cast to Cast is the rule. ;)

10. dennis

dennis Silver

Can-demonium works well as an addition to zinc, so as to make Za-12/27...

11. KDM

KDM Copper

Is that the consensus on aluminium cans? I've got a ton of them as well, but I swear I probably lose 50% to slag. I thought it was just because they were heavily painted, but I read elsewhere that you have to melt them really quickly, or they just oxidise. (Sorry, this is almost a repost of something I posted elsewhere here, but it looks like a different set of opinions!)

12. Petee716

Petee716 Gold Banner Member

Guys use them but they're alot of extra work, crud, and entrapped moisture. Other more favorable material is just as easy to find once you start looking, and once you really start using other material chances are you wont look back.

Pete

13. dtsh

dtsh Silver

In the distant pat of my youth I melted cans from time to time, mostly for amusement. They'll work when you're just figuring things out, but I think you'll get better results if you use a more appropriate alloy for casting. If you cast your eye about you should be able to find a bit of discarded auto parts or the like just laying around. I recommend weighing and measuring volume of unknown metals though, it can be hard to tell aluminum from zamak from magnesium sometimes. With a weight and a volume, you can do a little math and be pretty certain what you've got....and get better results as you'll know what to expect. Also important is you likely don't want to melt magnesium and you want to keep the zamak from getting too hot.

14. KDM

KDM Copper

It is true, I did a couple of hard drive cases, a few frying pans and I couldn't BELIEVE the lack of crud which came out. I just wondered if there was a technique or something! I heard folk going "you need more table salt", etc. but I thought that was for degassing.

15. Tobho Mott

Tobho Mott Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

There were some old threads on the alloyavenue forums about how to improve yields from beverage can melting. Starting with an ingot to get a heel of molten metal forming quickly to submerge cans into, fluxes, mats of dross saved and used as a cover to shield the melt, a lot of drying and crushing cans, having to feed hundreds of cans into the crucible one by one which takes ages, etc., etc. It's an awful lot of hoops to jump through for only a small improvement in yield, and what you end up with has higher shrinkage and doesn't flow as well as alloys designed for casting.

You'll find that aluminum automotive castings are everywhere as scrap, once you start looking. We have a thread around somewhere with suggestions for where to look. The first things I melted in my old charcoal furnace were an old extruded aluminum ladder (also sucks, but at least it has enough thickness that you don't lose so much of it to dross) and a bunch of cans. Once I poured my first casting using melted alloy wheels, my old can and ladder metal muffin ingots got tossed in a corner of my shed never to be seen again.

The salt is not a degasser, it's a flux to help the clean metal flow out of the dross when you scoop it out. When it works right, the dross should seem like it wants to clump together more easily, and what you scoop out will be mostly a dry grey powder with little shiny metallic content. Diet salt that is half potassium chloride works better than just plain sodium chloride, and you can make that even more effective by melting it first before you use it as I described in this post: http://forums.thehomefoundry.org/in...ory-coating-for-steel-crucible.457/#post-9042
    I learned about that from an alloyavenue thread too, sadly all but inaccessible these days. Salt flux may or may not also help can metal fill molds easier, but I doubt it would be as big of an improvement as switching to a casting alloy. Be super double extra careful to use DRY molds to pour molten salt into if you try making some. Store your flux in an airtight jar to keep it dry - if it absorbs moisture from the air, it will probably do more harm than good in your melt. I stopped using it a couple years ago and it didn't seem to hurt anything, but I was long since done with cans by then.

Jeff

16. Hey Jeff: You should put an extruded muffin in each melt of cast. You won't notice the addition and the muffins will soon be gone.

I've got tw dozen rims to melt and am trying to figure out the easiest way. I'm thinking a lined drum has to be it.

Tobho Mott and Petee716 like this.
  17. rocco

rocco Silver

Very true, make friends with a mechanic or body man and you'll have access to all of the high quality scrap you're likely to need. For example, several years ago, I was casting a part for a friend of mine and a friend of his owned a few body shops, he was very intrigued with my casting process and he said they very frequently have cars come in with alloy rims damaged beyond repair and offered to let me take as many as I needed. There are several ways to cut rims into manageable size pieces, I use a table saw with a carbide tipped blade (full PPE mandatory).

cut up rim.jpg

18. FishbonzWV

Round two
    That burner is a propane hog so it's out.
    Next is to try a wood fired version.
    Started on it before winter set in.
    IMG_4051.jpg IMG_4052.jpg

19. Tobho Mott

Tobho Mott Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

It may come to that as I may run out of wheelium before the snow and ice melts and lets me get to those last 3 wheels I've got out back!

I was thinking about using the portable bandsaw this time, but I may go with the stack melter again since I have a lot of branches and logs thay I need to get rid of as well... The stack melter puts on a good show and the nuggets of aluminum seem to melt really clean, but sorting them out of the charcoal and ash mush after the fire goes out is somewhat less entertaining...

Jeff

oldironfarmer likes this.
  20. Peedee

Peedee Silver

Jeff covers it all there. The minute I switched from recycled anything Al to known LM25 (A356) the results were a mile forward.

I had a pallet of fittings I had cast by a local foundry (project went sour leaving me with a heap of lm25 scrap) a good alloy behaves so much differently.

There are enough headaches.

dennis likes this.