Burner placement

Discussion in 'Burners and their construction' started by Rpker, Aug 4, 2018.

1. Rpker

Rpker Copper

so I found a piece of 1 3/4" ID tubing to use for my Kwiky burner and as I was figuring out where to drill it for the oil, air and mounting screws I began to wonder if there is a "best placement" fir the burner in the tube as far as distance from the flare. I am smart enough to figure that if the burner is to far back I will lose efficiency as the atomized fuel will collect on the walls of the tube and if I mount it to far forward it will end up melting in the fire (probably not good I'm thinking....)

As an aside, the tubing I found is a section of exhaust resonator that I found at autozone and the flare will be an adaptor that goes form 1 3/4 to 2 inches....seems to be a perfect fit for what I was looking for.

2. Since no one responded, I'd put the tip about a 1/2" from the flare. The oil and air flow keeps it cool, you may want to withdraw it when you shut down.

3. Rpker

Rpker Copper

Thank you for that sir....though I fear my project is on hold again. My son in law died today. It was expected as he has been fighting colon cancer for three years now but the rest of the world is going on hold for a while.

4. Jason

Jason Gold

Sorry man.. I'm on the beach in the islands.. :p I've been running a kwicky for almost 3 years. Build your kwicky so you get the tip of the nozzle is as close to the interior wall of the furnace as possible. You will be running compressed air AND a blower so there is no well in hell you could ever overheat the end of it. Your tuyere pipe on your furnace will probably limit you on how close you can get it, but get as close as possible.

I'd love to get mine closer than this. But it's working so I won't screw with it.
    This picture is taken with the tip of the tape measure touching the tip of the burner.
    This view is inside the furnace.

20150408_171944.jpg

I turned my plumbing to get it closer. Don't try to use these valves for mixture control. Have shutoff valves, but also get some needle valves in there too.

20150408_171908.jpg

5. Sorry to hear the news.

I see Jason was preparing his message while you were sending yours. We'll wait til you're ready to come back.

6. Jason

Jason Gold

Man I'm sorry to hear that. Cancer respects no one. I'm losing a first class airplane mechanic right now.. Just found out he has stage 4 in his liver, stomach and spine.
    Condolences to your family.