Buy a house?

Discussion in 'General foundry chat' started by Zapins, Jul 12, 2020.

1. dtsh

dtsh Silver

Captive nut if it is...

2. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Basically done with the painting. I just need to sort the rivnuts out and I can assemble it.

I tried with bolts today but it didn't work. I'll have to try again later. Not sure why it didn't tighten.

I finished the mount for the blade guide. Just need 2 allen keyed bolts to mount it... sigh. Never ending quest to travel back and forth to the hardware store...

20201208_220053.jpg 20201208_214958.jpg

Mark's castings and Tobho Mott like this.
  3. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Looking good :cool:

Tobho Mott likes this.
  4. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Whats the best way to remove a threaded part that was lock tightened into a regulator? I tried heating it up but it didn't seem to help?

5. DavidF

Sledge hammer, left hand 30 degree angle. :D

Seriously, what materials are we dealing with?

6. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Brass. Its starting to strip the part with a wrench

7. Jason

Jason Gold

I guessing ZAP you are talking about loctite??? Heat and more heat. Turn it's while it's screaming hot!

If it's really stuck, you may have to drill whatever you have stuck out of it's hole. If it self destructs, it needed replacing anyways!

8. rocco

rocco Silver

My method is similar to Jason's, get it screaming hot, if possible concentrate the heat on area around the threaded hole more so than the actual threaded part you're trying remove, shock cool with cold water, reheat, turn while hot. The extra step of shock cooling seems to help break the bond.

9. Zapins

Zapins Gold

I just bought an adapter. Sorted now.

Next issue. How do I wire this thing with the cable I have?

Is the "line 1" on the diagram the red cable attached to one prong on the 240v plug and the black cable the "line 2" attached to the other prong? Where does the white neutral line go?

Is the white wire just an extra due to the cord I happened to get? And I only need 3 total wires? Red black and green?

Green is ground of course to the case of the motor.
    20201210_210630.jpg
    20201210_210932.jpg

10. Jason

Jason Gold

No neutral req'd so lose the white. Ground to case, then one leg (RED) of the 240 to the top and the other leg (BLACK) of the 240 to the bottom. Where's your capacitor?
    When you find it, one leg of the cap goes to 3/4 (black) and the other leg of cap to 2.

BOLD keeps matt smiling.

11. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Gonna work on it when I get home today.

I went to the junk yard and pulled out about 100 feet of flexible 4 stranded cable. I'll check the gauge later but it looks big like 6 gauge maybe. I can run 241v across my garage now to any potential mills I may install without rewiring my garage!

Only 56 bucks for 75 pounds of the stuff. Brand new this cable is stupid money bc of the flex wire. Would also work to rewire my tig machine.

20201211_160452.jpg

Jason likes this.
  12. Jason

Jason Gold

Lucky dog you! I bought some really nice #6 for my kiln and paid the bucks. Trouble is, it's about 5feet short from me being able to stick the kiln outside the door!:mad: So I get to buy it again! At least now my mill and lathe wont be running on romex laying around the garage.:D

13. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Good news is the motor works. Bad news is I was tensioning the band saw and I had forgotten to bolt it to the stand so it fell on me and hit my back and head. Some nice big bruises and a headache.

Unsure what damage happened to the band saw I didn't hear anything break but the paint is likely scuffed up. I will check on it later after I've recovered.

14. DavidF

Ouch!! But im sure you know a good Dr. ;)

15. Ouch, hope it not too bad...a headache doesn't sound good. I went to put on my glasses with one hand and the hinged arm swung shut and poked me in the eyeball...missed the cornea but still cut the eyeball. It hurt three hours later so I went to the hospital to make sure it was ok which it was fortunately. All I had to do was wait for two hours on a Saturday night.

16. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Ouch. Eyeballs are not to be poked!

My head feels ok now but now the spot on my back hurts where it hit me. Muscles are all spasming. The damn thing weighs nearly 200 lbs and hit me right on the corner on my back then slid forwards and knocked my head.

Hope it isn't broken. I'll check on it later when I'm home. I had to go to work. Overnight 12 hour shift at the hospital.

Here's a short video of the motor working to tide you over until the next update...

Tobho Mott and Jason like this.
  17. Woohoo a working motor....wiring them will be a snap now, you'll have to start acquiring some motors now: disc sanders, belt grinders and buffing spindles won't power themselves you know. I think it's considered a good idea to stay awake and not sleep after a knock to the head.

18. Jason

Jason Gold

I think that's for a concussion there Dr. Mark. :p

Mark's castings likes this.
  19. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Oh yes. I asked the junk yard team to keep any motors aside for me since I want to upgrade some of my other tools. My southbend is running on 3/4 hp :O and so is my belt sander.

Maybe I'll build a powerful belt sander and power it on a 2 to 3 hp motor if I can get one.

I think a redo of my power grid is in order. I want more 240v plugs. Maybe I should even get a separate meter for my garage. A nice 200 amp line strictly for my garage.

Yup more for concussions. The sleep part of it is because if you are bleeding into the brain and you're awake you'll notice weird symptoms and lose the ability to do something and be more likely to get help. But if you're asleep you're screwed...

20. Jason

Jason Gold

You can never have too many 240v plugs thats for sure! I can't run everything off my sub panel at once, I just keep the cb's off until I need to use the equipment. I know they aren't switches and I don't give a flying F! Whenever I've had a CB fail on me, it was one that never gets flipped. I think it's important to exercise them!