Cast iron crank

Discussion in 'Pattern making' started by ESC, Oct 23, 2017.

1. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Yah, that's the rod I was mentioning. I figure it only needs to be an 1/8" or so and left extended out the ends, I could mount a simple degree wheel and then would easily mount in a clocking and assembly fixture. The 1/8" hole would also serve as the mounting hole for the foam piece parts in router templates. The rod could then be cast in place and trimmed out or potentially removed from a rigid mold before casting.....I'd like to try it. It would be interesting to see how it compared to hard pattern and sand, especially in the hands of ESC.

ESC, I think in a few hours I could knock out the fixtures and a half easily dozen patterns, and more patterns would come very easily from that point. If you're up for that I will need a working drawing of the crank casting blank.

Best,
    Kelly

2. ESC

ESC Silver Banner Member

The stroke is 1.16".

I have good tracings of the counterweights and just need to mark the clocking. It is 90 degree for the outers and 180 for the center. My drawing of the crank is pretty cluttered, so I will need to clean that up.

3. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

4. Al2O3

Would that be PLA?

K

5. DavidF

Of course :)

6. ESC

ESC Silver Banner Member

The 400 mains are full size 2.65", but that just gives additional machining allowance. Out of curiosity can you scale for the shrink? I use x/3 x 101%. Also that is a 400 crank so the stroke is .100" longer.
    David, you should just do one for yourself in bronze shell. Car trophy/ Award/ man cave junk.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2017
  7. DavidF

yes it can be scaled. The slicer uses a scale factor of 1.00 so i guess you would want .34 ???
    The model if a full sized crank...

8. DavidF

Edit, sorry it a scale factor of 100% so you would want 34% ??? that would make the crank 223.11 MM total length.

9. Al2O3

mm? What's that...this a Chevy crank boy! We speaketh in inches please. Whats' your print resolution? Can you print &' deep? Ideally isn't that how you would want to do it? Is PLA fairly stiff?

K

10. DavidF

pla is very stiff.. I can get 100 micron prints pretty easily. The 15 hours to print was at 200 microns resolution, at 100 microns it would take 28 hours.
    Im printing it now just to see how it comes out. there is alot of support material when it is printed vertically that could be troublesome. the other thing is that this is a modeled to be a crank, not a casting of a crank (big difference) but I could likely model a casting in a few minutes if given the dimensions.
    I also see what I think is an error in the file from grabcad..... gap between rear main and counterweight.
    crank error.jpg

11. DavidF

Think I will.. 1/3 scale is nicely sized. I stopped the print early due to concerns from all the support and its removal. It came out much better than I was expecting it to. With the removal of some holes and a bit of disclosing wax to touch it up I think it would be possible to cast it. Going to re start the print tomorrow...
    crank print.jpg

12. Al2O3

That looks pretty darn good to me. I don't think you can beat the dimensional accuracy compared to the rest of the approaches in the discussion. If it can be invested, burnt out, and cast as iron in that investment, winner winner chicken dinner. Of course, it does need to dimensionally conform with ESCs specs and machine stock.

Best,
    K

13. ESC

ESC Silver Banner Member

That really looks nice. It would be great polished in bronze, but tough to make into a useable part without adding to the journals in order to keep the length correct with the shrink.

14. DavidF

The heck with bronze, i want to try out the ferrous rated investment ive had sitting around for way too long... :D

15. ESC

ESC Silver Banner Member

I don't remember what cast iron you have done, but Ironsides had a thread on ferro phosporous innoculation to lower the melting point and create a more fluid melt. I use broken up steam radiators. They are high phosphorous and as long as your TC is high enough they make nice machineable castings. The original smallblock was done with that feedstock.
    When I researched cast iron investment I thought it required an acid bath to remove because of the higher temperature. Have you found something else? I tried cast iron in jewelers investment and saw no reduction in performance even though the casting itself failed. I was no where near hot enough and it was a split pattern and I had a runnout. Probably still some moisture from a short burnout.

Headsandblasted.JPG

Last edited: Oct 25, 2017
  16. DavidF

I have some scrap 30 class that works out great for me with just a pinch of f.s.
    Plays hell on my furnace lining though.

17. ESC

ESC Silver Banner Member

Yep, I see 2850 on the furnace wall with the pyrometer and the castable is only rated at 3000, so it starts to fail.

18. DavidF

When i tried iron in regular gypsum based investment it actually seemed like it melted the investment and turned it into flux. The investment i will be trying next is phosphate bonded and was told by the folks at R&R would hold up.

19. DavidF

ESC, how did you handle the cooling system? Is the blocks water jacket cored out with the cylinder walls cast in, or just machined later and sleeves installed??

20. ESC

ESC Silver Banner Member

The block water jacket was cored but has machined cast iron wet sleeves pressed in. The head has a cored water jacket. The blocks are an original second, and an aluminum cast from the double shrink pattern for the blower motor project.

Headcores.JPG head2.JPG CIandAsamescale.JPG