Casting books

Discussion in 'General foundry chat' started by Al Puddle, Apr 11, 2019.

1. Al Puddle

Al Puddle Silver

The UPS man brought me a few books to read.

"Complete Casting Handbook- second edition" by John Campbell.
    Can't say whether its complete or not. It's easy to read but will require time to understand.

"Foundry Manual -1957 edition reprint" by United States Navy
    Time proven.
    Now I don't have to squint to read it like I do on the computer.

"The Complete Handbook of Sand Casting" by C.W. Ammen
    Lots of good illustrations. Should help me think of ways to mould a pattern.

Maybe now I can figure out what I'm doing.

Tobho Mott likes this.
  2. Ammen's book is very good. It needs to be read at least three times to digest. He writes from many years of foundry experience.

3. Tobho Mott

Tobho Mott Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

One thing I've learned from trying to learn this stuff from books - you should fully expect books from different sources to all contradict each other quite often. o_O

Jeff

oldironfarmer likes this.
  4. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Haha you should see the medical text books. Nobody agrees on anything!

5. Al Puddle

Al Puddle Silver

In your situation, how do you resolve the discrepency?

6. Zapins

Zapins Gold

That's the "art" of medicine. Best judgement that works for the patient. But I was mainly thinking of the anatomic text books, they always tell you different things because everyone is wired up differently inside. The books don't really break it down by percentage of the population with this anatomic variant or that one. They just generalize and say this is how people are inside.

When it comes to practicing medicine it's a bit better because there are officially agreed on guidelines. But still things change all the time and you just need to keep reading and stay up to date.

7. Al Puddle

Al Puddle Silver

I suspected that. I always seem to be among the 10% of 10% of the population.

8. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Yeah I taught anatomy dissection for a year and got to see a lot of cadavers maybe about 100 or so. Everyone is pretty different inside. Some people have extra muscles and extra bones and other people don't have half the things they should. I even saw people with duplicate organs. Pretty wild. And yet somehow we are all people on th and find a