Ed is restoring a hundred-year-old windmill and needed some parts cast. He had originals from a similar windmill motor to use as patterns and just needed duplicates of those parts. The total weight of the parts was about 10 pounds. Sounds easy enough, right? I mean the originals were castings, obviously, so, you would expect that with just some cleanup and painting they would be good patterns with proper draft and shape and then could be simply packed up into a mold and away we go. That proved not to be the case. I suspect that they must have been heavily ground by the manufacturer after casting to make them look better and perhaps to remove some surface defects. First off, the two larger and more complex parts were broken in shipping. That's not so bad for me (Ed was pretty bummed) as the pieces could easily be glued with Cyano glue and once again should make usable patterns. I chose cyano glue as the glue drying time is so fast and it is quite strong. Plus the parts could be hand held in proper position feeling the grains interlock when they were just right. Epoxy glues being thicker and slower would have made it harder to feel the messing of the fine grain. I just held the pieces in position and my sweet wife dribbled some glue into the crack and then spritzed the glueline with kicker. Voila! That was easy. The original Ed had were pretty rough when he got them and the one piece had four fingers of iron that looked tricky to mold. He had cleaned up the parts by sandblasting them, filled in the space between the fingers with two-part filler and applied filler to the major pitting to smooth up the parts. Then the fun began. I started looking for dings and pits, filling them with bondo. You can see where I added almost 1/4" of light green bondo to this area of the "rake." I also had to relieve the other side 1/16" to zero over 3/8 inches to allow parting this portion of the rake. Here is an assortment of parts Ed sent. I spray my patterns with white lacquer as it really helps me see defects in the pattern surface. Flat and transparent sprays tend to not aid in seeing defects. Here is the part line for the rake. See the relief on the outside of the rake. Here I have drawn on a part line that I will use for coping down on the pattern. This part is somewhat complicated with respect to establishing a parting line. You can see I used my pattern-maker's square all over the part. I had to add back the draft in nearly all areas. Ed provided a core box and made a core print in the piece where there is supposed to be a rectangular depression in the part. The lined area is where the core will go. Its design is somewhat atypical in that the core will need to be pinned into the mold using 2 4" pieces of tig filler wire. The cores are made with sodium silicate, coal, sugar, and 100 mesh olivine. The boxes had no draft in the straight inside portions. So, getting the core out without breaking it was touchy business. There was lots of draft on the reference surface of the boxes. Ready to mold, or so I thought. But this part had one more trick up its sleeve. Where the long arm of this wishbone meets the main portion of the part two surfaces had draft to the part line but those two surfaces actually diverge. I learned that a couple hours ago when I rammed up a mold with the part in this orientation in the cope as I rammed it up. When I went to draw the pattern, the sand insisted on fracturing right at the point where the longest side of the long arm met the part line. Little did I realize that because the part was actually of greater dimension an inch and a half down into the sand than it is at the p[art line---the counter in this case. So, here is where I got tripped up. I have some Celastic coming tomorrow that was supposed to be here on Wed of last week. I will use it to add draft to the pattern so that it can be drawn more easily on the next molding session. Drawing that long arm out of the sand required my concentration! Tomorrow I will mold the rake and the little rectangular box both of which use cores. BTW, I love that little Starrett square. It is so hand for this kind of work. When someone gave me one many years ago and well before my interest in casting, I wondered about it utility. Now I get it. Denis These parts look pretty simple at first glance. But, I am learning they are actually quite complex.