Chunk Jewel Lamp

Discussion in 'Lost wax casting' started by Jason, Feb 3, 2019.

1. Jason

Jason Gold

Exactly Don. Ya see, when you cast glass, anything it touches while in it's molten state will not solidify shiny. Only areas exposed to open air will be shiny. I need these to be clear.
    They are too detailed to shine by hand with mechanical means. So acid dipping is the only option to bring back the gloss and make them clear again. Maybe be I should be going
    for the old and tired look huh?:D I've got this glass casting thing down now, it's really easy to do, but god is it BORING and slow.

20190829_114408.jpg

The color is really lackluster with gaffer lead glass. That was the darkest green and brightest yellow they sell. Once you put a light behind them, the colors wash out.:(

2. ddmckee54

ddmckee54 Silver

So all the slump glass stuff has to be polished in some manner? I've got cheap glass plates and bowls that appear to have been slump formed and are shiny. For the price I paid, couple of bucks each, I find it hard to believe that they polished them too.

Just thought, they are clear, maybe that's the difference.

Don

3. Jason

Jason Gold

When glass slumps it turns shiny. But flip one of them over, you cannot have all sides of a handmade piece shiny without coldworking. (polishing)
    When up at slumping temps, any part in contact with the floor, shelf, you name it, is going to leave it's mark.

Look at the back of this. It was perfectly shiny, but I flipped it over to fire polish the front. See what happens?
    This is the back of the blue piece from http://forums.thehomefoundry.org/index.php?threads/chunk-jewel-lamp.622/page-6

20190829_130628.jpg

4. Jason

Jason Gold

Whomp Whomp Waaahhhh... $155 bucks later for 3 pieces and here is the results. :(:rolleyes:o_O

The yellow picked up some shine, but not 50bucks worth. The green did nothing. Interesting, both of these pieces
    contain a minimum of 42% lead and this should have worked. hmmm
    The 3rd red piece isn't worth showing.

20190924_155238.jpg

Upon closer inspection on the yellow, I almost think it's worse. Makes me think I should have sandblasted half of one before
    sending them out for test.
    20190924_155535.jpg

20190924_155542.jpg

Last edited: Sep 24, 2019
  5. I wonder how a vibratory tumbler would go at polishing these with some media fine enough to keep the features.

joe yard likes this.
  6. PatJ

PatJ Silver

I would love to get into some glass stuff.
    I have seen some really cool bottles melted into ladle holders and such.

I think the wife would kill me if I expanded my hobbies though.

7. Jason

Jason Gold

I am starting to think you might have something there Mark. I would guess it would be best to cast the features exaggerated and sand blast as fine as I can
    to get a head start on tumbling. Anyone ever hear of sugar polishing?

Pat you don't need a new hobby, stick to iron. Glass is proving to be a pain in the ass and very boring. On a lighter note, my wife has taken to
    my collection of glass rods and is making earrings by the dozens. So far she has made more cash than I have with this bronze thing. hmmm
    2 pairs for 10bucks and ladies are hunting her down for them. It's like catnip for cats.

20190919_175212.jpg

8. I've never heard of sugar polishing before. I think with vibratory tumblers you have some rubber chunks to push the polishing abrasive into the corners of the glass, so the rubber wipes the glass and to some extent keeps the chunks from hitting each other too much. There's also a precision method of pumping a stream of polishing slurry at the glass surface used for aspheric lenses which could be jury rigged.

9. Peedee

Peedee Silver

My wife can up-stage me any time she likes! All this pain you are going through with the glass is saving the lots of people the learning curve, think of it as a public service :)

joe yard and Jason like this.
  10. Jason

Jason Gold

Hey Peedee, I met someone recently up in NY and he sent me a photo you'll get a kick out of. He is the lad on the bike. That was his Dad's ride. Notice the gas lanterns.
    IMG_0024edited.jpg

11. Those glass earrings look cool, how are they made: bundling rods together and fusing them?.

12. Jason

Jason Gold

That's milliefiori. They call it murrini cane. Cut to length for size and slumped. She did a ton of others, some transparent and others in opalescent glass.

13. Peedee

Peedee Silver

The gas lamps look great (bit before my time BTW, I'n not that bl**dy old!) Can't take my eyes of that Jag! Mk2?

14. Jason

Jason Gold

Yup.. Mk2 2.4 liter so it should be an early one. The bad boy was the 3.8 if I recall.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2019
  15. Jason

Jason Gold

Inside/Outside, upside down.

After a fair amount of research, I have figured out two methods of glass work was performed for the period. One of them was pressed glass. This makes sense as the technology was new at the time, cheap to do and people ate it up. So for this lamp, I am changing course a bit and will attempt to press glass. If this works, more complex shapes can be attempted in the future. For now, I elected a simple shape and will try to make about a dozen of these in a few colors. To do this, I need the mold. Molds at the time were said to have been made of bronze, brass or cast iron. I didn't see the need to open up some new silicone for this one, so I ran plaster with decent results. I'll boil this out when it's ready and pour with bronze. I've never "gathered" glass or tried this pressing stuff before so this could get hairy. Watch the video below, looks pretty idiot proof to me.
    So here we go.

Simple shape
    20191007_204911.jpg 20191007_205244.jpg 20191007_224351.jpg 20191007_234358.jpg 20191007_235408.jpg 20191008_005524.jpg 20191008_010148.jpg 20191008_123232.jpg 20191008_130725.jpg 20191008_130759.jpg 20191008_132614.jpg 20191008_142154.jpg 20191008_150454.jpg 20191008_192645.jpg

Tobho Mott likes this.
  16. PatJ

PatJ Silver

The people who can do stuff well in videos (see ironsides) make it look easy, but "easy" can be very deceiving.
    It only took me six short years to get to the point where ironsides is as far as getting iron to a hot pour temperature consistently.
    So somebody with your brainpower I think would pick up the glass molding quickly.

I really like the glass moulding technique in general.
    But instead of glass, I think I would like to strike either decorative coins, or perhaps belt buckles.
    I guess I should just cast coins or belt buckles, but striking them on dies seems like a cool process for some reason.

Good luck.

17. Jason

Jason Gold

Thanks Pat. no harm in trying something ya haven't done before. err.. well, I can think of a couple things I'm NOT TRYING. :eek:;) lol

Forget getting dies made here these days. Even the chinese are pretty expensive at that level of work. Last dies we had made was for some plastic vents. Cost 10k!
    When your finger heals, cad you up some stuff and get with me. I can probably get my nephew to resin print out a few for ya. You'll need to run solid investment
    in a flask, but I've got the proper burnout schedule. That was half the battle with that b9c!

18. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Looks like you made the mold of a mold! Now pop out some copies and cast it into metal. So you can cast glass. Mental back flips haha.

I'm excited to see how it works.

Tobho Mott likes this.
  19. Jason

Jason Gold

One is plenty. It's not casting. I tried just slumping glass into a metal frame and it locked itself into the bronze due to the different coe's. Cracked the glass.
    This is get the glass molten, count 5 bananas and remove. Hit with a quick flame if necessary and anneal. The idea is to keep the shiny appearance of the glass.
    You're right, it was mental gymnastics of the first degree.:(

Last edited: Oct 9, 2019
  20. Jason

Jason Gold

Boom... half a mic drop.:p

20191012_194747.jpg

Tobho Mott likes this.