Cleanup and Finish for Marine Bronze Pieces

Discussion in 'Castings, finishing/ repair/ and patina's' started by Tops, Aug 22, 2023.

1. Tops

Tops Silver Banner Member

Hello Everyone-
    I am looking to refurbish old and made duplicates on the pintle/gudgeon setup below, picture is from smallboatrestoration.blogspot.com:
    [​IMG]

Pieces seem to be bronze, most have a natural seafoam green patina with some good fashioned iron rust from hardware for good measure.

Two questions:
    -best method to prep old pieces to use as patterns?
    -how to finish old and new pieces to be either a shiny or mat bronze?

I have a whole set to start with on one boat, second boat needs a whole set. One of my pieces below:

Thanks!

alcort_upper1.jpg

Last edited: Aug 22, 2023
  2. HT1

HT1 Gold Banner Member

1) fill any holes you do not intend to cast into the part wax is about the easiest answer
    several coats of primer to make up for shrinkage, with an 8 inch long part you will loose about 1/8 of an inch in length, if this is critical yah gotta make up for it somewhere, Primer wont get you there, so wax again is your friend , on that part I thing shrinkage can be ignored especially if you are making the entire assembly, all the parts will be equally smaller

2) you want mat, or shiny? you will get a mat finish as cast with a touch of wire brushing , shiney you will have to get busy with a buffer

V/r HT1

Tops likes this.
  3. Tops

Tops Silver Banner Member

Thanks HT1!
    The lengths are not as critical the way the thing pins/bolts/springs together, the 4 holes in the single part pic would be most critical but could be transfer punched and drilled to match a real part and a real boat. Maybe the one vertical middle piece that catches the two horizontal holes would work better if it were a little longer on the bottom and filed to fit.

I'd be thrilled with mat at this point.