Cold Weather Casting?

Discussion in 'General foundry chat' started by Tops, Dec 4, 2022.

Tags:
  1. Tops

Tops Silver Banner Member

We are into full bore winter here in Minnesota with current conditions Fair at 16°F or-9°C.
    It is going to warm to just below freezing today but along with that comes a chance for snow.
    I still have a couple pieces I want to do in aluminum with my wee propane + 20lb tank furnace, another set of 3" tape holder wheels in lost foam and some repair parts for a telescope in Petrobond (once I straighten out the warped 3d prints...)
    tops_winter_stuff1.jpg

What are people doing to keep going in the cold? Or is casting a warmer-weather sport?

Curious to the effects of cold on the process of casting. I am also considering going to a regional iron pour and that is in February.

So far I just keep the Petrobond in the house and rammed flasks indoors until just before the pour and covered until the crucible is ready to pour. The lost foam is still new to me, that sand is outdoors due to the polystyrene 'stank' on it. I am still planning to work outdoors today, but would like to explore better inclement weather options.

I could move the furnace to the attached 2-car* garage (*cars are not really allowed in the garage, too many other projects) and enjoy the waste heat and fumes during the melt or move it to a smaller 8x8 foot (2.5 x 2.5 meter) detached, mostly-abandoned shed 100 feet away and really enjoy the heat but also have even more concentrated fumes and low ceiling and partial dirt floor and such. Leaving the rig set up in the little shed has its appeal too but not dragging stuff out there like loaded flasks and pails of sand through the snow.

Has anyone done a heat reclaim / fume exhaust on a propane furnace? I have a wood burning stove and chimney in the garage, I could just stick the furnace in there and have some venting but realize that by doing so the heat reclaim would be minimal, especially if I crack a door or window for intake air.

2. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

I store my LF sand inside but in sealing lock ring buckets that are also my flasks. A plastic snap lid bucket will eleiminate the odor too. That way your sand is room temp assuming you have heated work space. The odor usually isnt bad and clears out quickly to just pack the mold. You'll want to seal it up after casting before you bring it in. IT is quite aromatic shortly after a casting session.

I think Tobho Mott has given quite a bit of thought to it. I'm sure he'll chime in. There is also a member here (Search posts by "Robert") that has a hood and melts/casts indoors with propane furnace. The hood requires quite a bit of make up air to reduce flue temperatures similar to the method used in home furnace exhaust vents so you end up drawing in quite a bit of cold air.

I have a big advanatage with my resitive electric furnace and heated shop. I pack the molds in shirt sleeve, position the furnace near the overhead door while melting and simply open the door, wheel out the flask on the driveway and pour. I have a big metal drip pan I dump the (5gal) flasks on to keep the sand dry and out of the snow. It's a lot tougher when I use my big flask (33-55gal). I need dry pavement to dump those.

In general though, I dont think there is much problem running your furnace outdoors and casting in cold weather (guys with oil burners need to heat their oil) if wind is low and your molds are room temp. You may just need to pour slightly hotter. If the wind is strong, it can cause excessive chilling of the thin molten metal stream while pouring.

Best,
    Kelly

Tops and HT1 like this.
  3. HT1

HT1 Gold Banner Member

the furnace is unaffected by the cold, at least down to freezing, Petrobond looses green strength when it gets cold ( It will be crumbly) if you keep them indoors in the 50s until you light off the furnace you should be fine, really no concerns about the metal if you get it to pouring temp and work fast you will see little difference

V/r HT1

Tops likes this.
  4. The only factor I've seen affect furnace operation is the humidity: converting all that water vapour into steam burns about 10% extra fuel and takes a bit longer to melt the first crucible from cold.

Tops likes this.
  5. Tops

Thanks Everyone, good thing to consider. Casting is on hold for today, ran some errands and broke one of the 3D printed pattern pieces so decided not to rush around or push forward any more today on it. I will also use the original as one of the patterns, with the holes taped closed, just in case I have more trouble with the other printed one.

6. Jammer

Jammer Silver Banner Member

I just never liked burning my face while freezing my butt. :D

Tobho Mott and Tops like this.
  7. Melterskelter

Melterskelter Gold Banner Member

I poured a 48" camelback straight edge this morning with temps somewhere in the 26 to 28 degree range. I DID have an unexpected problem---my pressure reducing valve filled with ice from the air compressor line.

I have been aware that there is some condensed moisture in my compressed air line but that was of little concern to me as I only run a pneumatic rammer and a dust blower from the line or use the compressed air to atomize fuel in my siphon-nozzle burner. It is rarely sub-freezing in my neck of the woods and those episodes are usually brief. Recently, we have been breaking local cold weather records for date.

This morning after overnight lows near 22, I set up to pour 46 pounds of iron into the mold I made yesterday. Everything went just fine for the first half hour or so and then I noticed the pressure supplied to the burner was starting to vary inexplicably. I would drop to 10 pounds and then return to the 45 pounds set and then go down to 32 and then back up etc etc. I already had a pot full of just melted metal at that point and sure did not want to shut down. After it dropped down to 10 and stayed there I figured my valve had crapped out and pulled it off the line and replaced it with another one that was handy. When I looked at the intake side of the valve assembly you could see that it was nearly obstructed by ice. Suddenly everything made sense. So, then I placed the valve about a foot from the furnace so that radiant heat would heat it some but not too much and I started periodically opening a vent valve on the air line upstream of the gauge to shoot out any water in the line. From then on the melt went fine.

Lesson learned: watch for ice in air pressure reduction valves and keep the valve warm---easy enough in my case as long as I think of it.

The general scene this morning as the melt progressed: fROSTY 48.JPG

Ice in the valve: Ice in pressure guage temp 28F.JPG

Ice cleared: Ice Cleared from Guage.JPG

Something to watch for...

Denis

Tops likes this.
  8. Melterskelter

Maybe cold weather is good luck? The casting that resulted from the iffy melt this morning came out very well.

D3F780F4-6A97-4439-9F51-24D831CB5E5D.jpeg 008F631D-AE83-4051-952F-AE3611BFE327.jpeg 2D74842C-1F02-4914-B703-9E42D03D8B6B.jpeg

The riser recently discussed did its job nicely. You can see central piping. The void extends 1” downward. There are no unintended voids.

Bottom line—-whew! I always breathe a sigh of relief when I get a good casting. This pattern is very challenging for me. Pouring it from the end like this is relatively new. I used to make two more or less central gates. The mold was inclined to be about an inch higher on the far end than it was at the gate.

Denis

9. Tops

Jammer- LOL!
    Denis-glad it all worked out well. I have like the couple inclined pours I have done after reading about yours.

10. Chazza

Chazza Silver

How interesting! Why is it higher at the far end?

I also have a long, thin part that I used to gate from one end and then I changed my technique and had repeated failures. My next attempt will be back to a gate at one end, with risers and chills.

11. Melterskelter

I incline flat-pattern molds almost always as I have read and learned through experience that they fill in a more organized fashion that way. A long flat LEVEL mold allows the metal running into it to bounce all over the place in disorganized blobs that, because they are small balls with large surface area/mass ratios, cool quickly and may or may not coallesce finally. Raising the far end causes a pool of molten metal to accumulate at the gate and then progress as a single front to the far end and then to filling level. Level flat plate-like molds are the worst. Cold shuts and incomplete fills are often seen in them if they are poured level.

It would be interesting to see the mold/pattern you are dealing with. Troublesome molds are the best as those are the ones trying to teach us something. (Least ways I try to look at them that way.:rolleyes:) It sounds like this is a challenging pattern.

Denis

Chazza likes this.
  12. Tops

I tried to pour tonight, had issues all the way around. I was not able to extract the small pieces cleanly (they'll clean up...had higher hopes) and something went wrong (too much mud? too small sprue to part joint? ) on the lost foam so those pieces didn't cast. I did not realize the issue with the foam until I had loaded about a pound of aluminum into the bean can with Petrobond pouring cup. I also did not ram up the scope mounts until the furnace was running for the lost foam (last minute trying to consolidate 2 pours into 1) so I worked myself out of time to think about or to repair that mold. The air was just under freezing heading to 10 F (-12 C) later tonight, no apparent issues related to that and propane, other than the tank is probably due to be filled. I did the mold work in the unheated garage and poured outside. Sand was vibrated with an air chisel on a board on the side of the pail. The Petrobond handled nicely as it was mulled on a warm day a couple weeks ago and kept indoors at room temp since. Maybe this event will 'learn' me to make all the molds, and make them well, before lighting the furnace...
    tops_cold_1.jpg tops_cold_2.jpg

13. Al2O3

Interupted pour and/or metal temp too cold.

Best,
    Kelly

Tops likes this.
  14. Tops

Thanks Kelly.

15. Tobho Mott

Tobho Mott Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Usually I make molds and pour all inside my 12x16 shed which is really nice compared to dragging everything outside. I installed a big attic fan up near the roof on the end of the shed that's above the furnace and I keep the door at the far end of the shed open while the furnace is running so my CO meter doesn't beep at me.

Greensand quits before I do in the winter here. I don't doubt that petrobond suffers too when it gets cold beyond a certain point, but not before I give up for fear of frostbitten fingers from working with it.

I had to set up a temporary molding station in my basement last December so I could keep working through to early February on an order that included making a couple dozen 12x12 flask side molds. Those were no fun to lug upstairs and out back to the casting shed. (Lots of smaller molds too, those were a little more fun to move but only a little).

I'd love to be able to heat my foundry, maybe one day I'll figure out how to make castings pay for that. But first I want to build a bigger and much less wooden shed!

Jeff

Tops likes this.
  16. Tops

I tried the tape wheels again. 15 F (-9 C) outside. 40 F (+4 C) in the garage. I used my air chisel with a board between it and the metal bucket to induce vibration in the sand.

Safety note: check you propane fittings for leaks, especially if you break down your furnace after each use. The hose end closest to the venturi was loose enough to hear a hiss and smell mercaptan.

Ran the melt, skimmed, and and checked metal for temp. Meter slowed at 718 C so I put it back in for a minute and skimmed and poured. The small tin can filled and overflowed a bit...oh no not again...then I heard a joyous gurgle and it started filling again and drained the crucible level to the top of the can. Parts are formed and the drywall mud captured details down the the expanded foam beads in the sprue.

Wondering if I am still gating or sprue-ing too small? I don't get much smoke or fire but the sand is ripe with styrene fumes afterwards. I am using hot melt glue to attach things but cannot say what temp (high or low) the glue it is.

tops_cold_3.jpg tops_cold_4.jpg

Tobho Mott likes this.
  17. Al2O3

Sprue size is probably just fine. All lost foam pours pause before they start readily taking metal from the cup. It's partly due to the time it takes to get a molten liquid and gaseous boundary layer established in the sprue and then when it reaches the part the area increases and advance of the metal front accelerates. That's why a pouring cup is helpful to provide buffer so you can increase your pour rate before the sprue gets sucked dry.......which is very bad news in lost foam. You actually dont want a lot of fire and smoke and if you dont, you probably have a pretty good feed system.

Best,
    Kelly

Tops likes this.
  18. Tops

Thanks Kelly!

19. Skratch

Skratch Silver

Just finished a simple pour, 3/4 x 12" round bronze bar. Open shed, temp 40#. I used a
    heat gun to blow air through the mold, sprue to vent and reverse. Don't know if the
    heat gun helped or not but the pour was good.

Tops likes this.
  20. Tops

Glad to hear the pour was good Skratch.
    Wondering if those infrared 'heat lamp' bulbs used for food service and chicken brooding would help keep a mold warm when it's cold outside.

Skratch likes this.