Copper and brass

Discussion in 'General foundry chat' started by Skratch, Feb 22, 2022.

1. Skratch

Skratch Silver

Would it be feasible to cast copper and brass together to get a harder allow ? If so what amount of
    each would be best ?

Thanks,, John

2. There's a lot of brass alloys out there, which source of brass were you considering?. Copper would make it more ductile rather than hard, you could try adding a percent of manganese (1.3%) to make manganese brass from 70-30 brass

Skratch likes this.
  3. GTS225

GTS225 Silver

Skratch;, the way you word that question leads one to think you might not realize that brass started out as copper. Brass is just a few additives, like zinc, manganese, or tin, added to copper in small percentages.

Just to clarify things.....Roger

Skratch likes this.
  4. Skratch

Skratch Silver

Thanks guys, the brass source is valves and faucets which I "think" has part copper.
    I wasn't sure on the components of brass, I thought copper
    was a part but not how.
    I'm new to this but slowly learning, thanks again for your help !

John ,,,,

5. Petee716

Petee716 Gold Banner Member

Skratch likes this.
  6. GTS225

GTS225 Silver

No worries, Skratch. Everybody has to start somewhere.
    Just didn't want to let you roam down an incorrect path in your search for knowledge.

BTW; If you don't know yet. When you go to melt that brass, make sure you have good ventilation. The zinc can burn out of the alloy, and breathing it will cause what's called "zinc fume fever"
    I'll let you research that, but suffice it to say, you don't want that.

Roger

Skratch likes this.
  7. Skratch

Skratch Silver

Thanks Pete for that link, it explains a lot, and thanks Roger for the warning on ventilation !