OK, I had to try it. To minimize bifilm generation by using a spout to get the pouring point as close to the basin as possible I put a spout on my stainless steel crucible. It also allows drawing liquid from under the surface so dross is not drawn into the pouring basin. My crucible is old and leaks water through the wall (but not aluminum ) so it needs to be replaced. I'm not losing much by drilling a hole in it. 316 SS 1/4" pipe is all I could find (316 may be a little better here, 304H would be preferred) so I ground the end to fit and welded it on with E309 rod. That's a good rod for dissimilar metals and some guys recommend it for cast iron repair. I ran a drill down the spout to make an elliptical hole inside (and clean up my excess root bead) after this picture. Man that crucible is nasty. Kelly said it would be OK. Probably not. But with it leaking water I don't want to clean it too much or I may have to weld up the holes. Since I'm a novice and made my furnace too big I have plenty of room for the spout I'm doing a series of pours of the same pattern to learn what works and what does not. Right now I'm working out pouring basins and small sprues and runners. I'm down to 0.05 sq in runners. I tried to copy Perry's pouring basin but made it too shallow. I'm also putting runners and the gate in the drag with a blind riser at the pattern in the cope so I have a bit of a weir to deflect the flow as the metal comes into the blind riser. Anyway, on to the the results of the test. I'm tickled. It was amazing easy to keep the pouring spout entrance submerged in aluminum, and a very short drop into the pouring basin. Edit: Here's the casting. Runners less than 1/4".