Crucibles for steel making

Discussion in 'Foundry tools and flasks' started by Mark's castings, Nov 23, 2018.

1. This is another Youtube suggested video about making crucible steel. The first 60% of the film covers making the single use crucibles. Being black and white it's hard to tell, but it looks like they were just made from clay alone. Later in the video you can see them being fished out of the furnace and the worker's leg wrappings smoking from the heat. They knock off the top lid and reach inside and pull a plug of slag out (I think it used crushed bottle glass) and pour into split moulds.

2. Melterskelter

Melterskelter Gold Banner Member

Great video, Mark. Did you happen to notice how buff that crucible maker was? In essence he spent every day all day "at the gym."

It would be nice to know more.

Denis

3. In the comments some younger guy who worked with him said he was even buff when older and working in the company store.

"George Goodwin, puddling clay for the making of pots for melting crucible steel, looks like the old Benjamin Huntsman works on Coleridge Rd. I started work there in 1968 as a lad in the forge, George by then was much older and working in the warehouse, he told us lads of these days making pots, and was still a very fit and muscular guy, bulging biceps for a pensioner a fantastic bloke. A piece of Sheffield history here..... Bob."

4. Mister ED

Mister ED Silver

Funny, I watched the same video the other night. It came up right after I watched the video Ironsides posted.