Devil forge furnace.

Discussion in 'Furnaces and their construction' started by Ironsides, Dec 12, 2018.

1. Jason

Jason Gold

I'll never understand just casting copper. WTF can you actually make out of copper? Buss bars? Aluminum, bronze, brass and iron, those are useful materials.

One thing is for certain, DF will NEVER send me a furnace. I've got no traffic across my yt channel and I'd roast his ballz and have a good time doing it.

2. PatJ

PatJ Silver

The amount of money that the fads can earn on Youtube is shocking.
    With a few billion people on the planet, it does not take too large of a percentage of that total to earn a lot of money.
    There seems to be no limit to what people will lap up, and buy, regardless of the usefulness of such items.
    Never underestimate the marketing power of Youtube, and marketing in general.

Remember the Wham-O hula hoop?
    100 million units sold in two years.

3. Joe Avins

Joe Avins Copper

And much fun had with them. Of course, a Hula Hoop didn't cost as much as this Devil Forge.

I admit that I may wind up being one of those who never goes past casting ingots. I plan to go beyond that, and I expect to find project ideas as I go along, but I have only one at the moment and many are started without progressing. One of the metals I will make ingots of is copper; it'll give me cleaned stock to mix alloys from. If I ever do one of those ant hill sculptures (not the thing on my list) it would look really good in copper. As would any number of other decorative items.

The first YouTuber I saw doing copper (I don't remember who) did it to see if his furnace would get that hot and let him do it. I was not impressed, as I've melted copper in open air with an air-acetylene torch. By mistake.

4. Jammer

Jammer Silver Banner Member

Pet Rocks were my favorite. Go pick up a smooth rock, put in a box with some tissue and sell it for $5.

I think these furnaces will show up at yardsales and Craiglist in a year or less. Should keep the ER busy for a time also.

I built my big furnace for about $100, most of that was the 3100 F refractory I bought. The rest was junk I had and some free stuff I picked up in a closed foundry. WITH full permission!! :D

[​IMG]

5. Jason

Jason Gold

Joe, you are about to learn the hard way copper suxs. Pour your ant hills with aluminium. Look around, there is a reason you only see the azzhats pouring just ingots from copper. Liquid bronze and brass behaves the way it should.

6. Joe Avins

Joe Avins Copper

I truly appreciate the warning so that I'll know what to expect from copper (difficulty). Part of what I expect and want from this journey is to learn a bunch of things the hard way. I'm happy to know that people say copper sux, but I still intend to see for myself "Oh! That's why copper sux." So I'm not ignoring your advice - I'm listening and taking it seriously - but I'm going to do it anyway.

Jimmymmm likes this.