Do you think this could work?

Discussion in 'Lost wax casting' started by Viggo.S, Feb 13, 2023.

1. Viggo.S

Viggo.S Lead

Hi guys!
    My small buissnies makes jewlery (rings) out of plastic waste by plastic injection moulding. I thougth of this idea of making the plastic injection mould by the Lost wax casting process, to cut the prices of ordering one made in a cnc machine and to be able to get more details.

What do you guys think of this idea, is it possible?

(the mould is about 10cm x 10 cm x 2cm (I could make it smaller). I have a resin printer so i am able to 3d print the wax)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. Petee716

Petee716 Gold Banner Member

I’d be concerned that even if you got a very good surface finish in your cavities, the mold would need some level of (machine) finishing both in terms of smoothness of the cavities (final product finish quality, ease of extraction, etc) as well as flatness of the mating surfaces. Depending on the cost of the machined molds and the number of them you have to buy, you might consider buying your own mill or CNC router. I know that might seem impossible or maybe even silly but…. I have one of each so it still might be silly, but not impossible.

Pete

3. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Even if you could achieve the required dimensional precision, seems unlikely the as-cast finish would yield the desired/required detail, finish, and mold release.

If you can print them, it means you model them, and if so you could machine the multicavity molds yourself. Small cnc machines and CAM software to do that can be had for $<$1000, less than $2000 for sure. Some learning curve but how much is a set of cnc'd molds costing you?

Best,
    Kelly

4. ddmckee54

ddmckee54 Silver

Looking at the last two images, I assume that this is the ring you want to cast? I'm not sure that it's even possible to injection mold that ring, at least not multiple parts at one time. Those divots in the ring are not going to want to pull straight out of the mold, you're going to have to un-screw them and that ain't gonna happen in a multi-part mold. I suppose if the parts are still soft enough, they would deform enough to come straight out of the mold, but that sounds like a recipe for a lot of rejects.

I suppose that a single part mold could be set up to allow you to un-screw half the mold off the part, and then un-screw the part out of the mold. But that procedure doesn't sound like it's going to make the ring a money-maker.

I have seen videos of injection molding done into 3D printed molds, that might be something to think about too. Any way that you slice it, a 3D printed test mold is less expensive than a machined mold - especially if it turns out the mold just doesn't work. If I remember correctly the 3D printed molds were good for small runs and then the molds wore out and had to be replaced. It required a special resin too, one that can stand up to the heat and abuse.

If you're interested, Google "3D printed injection mold".

Don