Easy removal of ceramic shell

Discussion in 'Lost wax casting' started by David McCauley, Feb 19, 2021.

1. Is there an easier was to remove ceramic shell other that chipping it away? Does anything dissolve the shell? Any suggestions would be great!

2. Jason

Jason Gold

I've heard muriatic acid might help dissolve it. Proceed at your own risk. I let the metal cool about 20mins after I pour and then start whacking away.
    I park my ass on the ground, get comfortable and go for it. Personally I find it kind of relaxing and it's always like christmas.

If you have an pneumatic hammer, you could put something blunt on the end and vibrate the hell out of the sprue or the back of your piece if it's accessible.

3. Zapins

Zapins Gold

No dissolving options that I've found.

Pneumatic hammer is the best bet, second best is sand blasting it off. Shell removal sucks.

DavidF likes this.
  4. JBC

JBC Copper

I have not used the mats you guys are using but I do plan to later.
    Has anyone tried putting their molds in the freezer and then dumping them into boiling water (or less than boiling)?
    Maybe get that thermal shock-value to fracture the shell?

5. Jason

Jason Gold

Nahh.. When the metal cools the shell starts to crack on it's own. Depending on the construction and shape of the tree, some break apart easier than others. I tried dousing with water, that's doesnt really help. You want the metal to contract as the shell will not expand or contract. Shell is superior in dimensional strength across a wide range of temperatures.

(f me, its gotta be this machining crap, my wife tells me I'm starting to sound like those engineering types I constantly bitch about!)

JBC likes this.