First new furnace in 18 years

Discussion in 'Furnaces and their construction' started by nwcf_1, Oct 18, 2020.

1. nwcf_1

nwcf_1 Lead

I really don't want to wait for the full 20

I have an old water heater tank that I had previously cut apart for a furnace about 10 years ago. It will work, but I will have to weld a few chunks back together.
    It would be a good thing to have this mounted on a steel-wheeled wheel cart because I don't want to wonder where the burning smell is coming from...
    It seems that a ceramic blanket covered with some insanely-rated coating is catching on for furnace construction. That does seem sensible being mounted to an all steel cart, which would vibrate like the dickes when being moved and tend to disassemble a castable refractory before I had gotten good use out of it.
    So- it looks like a 2" layer of 2600 and a coating of ITC 100? But wait! melterskelter uses a "plastic" refractory to hammer out a sectional lid and it seems to be just the thing I need to not worry about what UFO's (undesireable furnace objects) falling onto a melt.
    I suppose I will give the wool a try on the lid as I need to melt the aluminum scrap laying around here first so I have some room!

Later

Stan

2. Petee716

Petee716 Gold Banner Member

Pictures!

3. nwcf_1

nwcf_1 Lead

Ah, yes.
    I need to get a USB adapter for this old computer. My old method (insert SD card into a differnt computer, download, transfer to flash drive, move flash drive to this computer) stopped working and for some reason I have no urge to fix that!
    I'll see what I can find for getting pics directly onto this computer.
    We live past the sticks, like out in the rocks: cell phone strength is 1 bar at best, if you can find it. We don't bother with cell phones because when we drive into a service area all the missed messages arrive at once. When we are going into town we don't use it because we are on a mission and don't want to be bothered.
    I'll see what I can find to get images uploaded, and I can upload right to this forum. The furnace build has little chance of any further progress until I have some ceramic blankets and refractory.
    I still need to weld pieces back together as I was just going to make a melt down furnace for aluminum scrap and I see I drilled some holes for a regular burn barrel in it. It's OK, just need to patch those up and weld an end back on to get started.
    I was considering making an air inlet at the top to swirl around the hole to "pre-cool" the exhaust exit and prevent the hole from getting eaten away. But I did sense the feeling of excitement of "I am going to finish the furnace for iron!" yesterday and I may skip the idea altogether on this furnace.

Later

Stan