Forget gold...for now.

Discussion in 'General foundry chat' started by RichB007, Nov 18, 2020.

1. RichB007

RichB007 Copper

Hi Again
    My mini furnace is arriving tomorrow and im going to concentrate on making 2 x 1kg brass ingots for the kids as Christmas presents.
    I have 1600g so far bought of ebay for a few quid, usual objet d'art crap, ashtray, bell, mouse etc and more coming.
    My question is if i melt this in my new small electric furnace will i get the same weight out as i put in. and will it be the same quality. Im assuming its copper and zinc.
    I will be polishing the ingots so they look good

2. metallab

metallab Silver

You can better use bronze (Cu + Sn) or even aluminum bronze (Cu + 8% Al), the latter having a nice gold color. Brass is horrible with its nasty zinc fumes, a face mask, or better a respirator is a requirement, even when you melt outdoors. Even pure (red) copper can be nice as long as you keep the melt oxygen free by putting a few pieces of charcoal on the melt.

3. HT1

HT1 Gold Banner Member

Stop Bad mouthing Brass!!!
    Zinc is good for you, the Cure for "the 19"
    Yellow brass is wonderful to cast, doesn't even require flux of degassing

V/r HT1

P.S you are right about one thing: Please for the Love of life and Limb do not try to cast Brass indoores without Proper industrial ventilation

Mark's castings likes this.
  4. Jason

Jason Gold

No.. He's on a mission to turn low carat gold into 24kt. We melt gold in a small crucible with an oxy torch. Our family casts some big pieces in gold and silver, but nothing that requires a 30minute melt in a furnace. Only the jackasses on the discovery channel have that need.:rolleyes: Our scrap goes in a 1 gallon bucket. (I'm not kidding either) It usually weighs about 10lbs and my wife loves to dump it out on the counter and go shopping. She's pulled some pretty nice stuff that was destined for the melt. Great prices too! When you buy jewelry, first is always weight and I do the math. The rest anyone pays for is the art itself. As styles fade, the art can become worthless. That's when she swoops in for a deal. I could care less, I can always scrap it myself for cash.

5. Seems nobody answered your question. You won't get out as much as you put in. Some of it will be lost as dross. How much depends on your skill level and which flux you use. I have been able to lose as much as 40% of a melt to dross when not using any flux. It is safe to assume my skill level is lower than yours, however.

Have you looked about for plumbing scrap to melt? Water taps and fittings make great raw material as do gas valves.

Do you have commercial moulds for your ingots? The taper (draft) is important to be able to get the ingot out of the mould.

Your first ingots may not be really pretty. Too cool or too warm during the pour can make then interesting but butt ugly.

Good luck and don't let any of the experts here discourage you. They're all good guys and mean well.

Jason likes this.
  6. Jason

Jason Gold

This is sil-bronze with a polish next to 14kt. The average idiot on the street wouldnt be able to tell the difference.
    16057669458781876279714087570685.jpg
    16057670346598339730767100991819.jpg

16057669458781876279714087570685.jpg

7. OMM

OMM Silver

Why polish a ingot? One of the famous Youtubers states, if you polishing a ingot, it's like polishing a turd. A turd is indirectly a piece of poo. Don't give away poo for Christmas. Give some thing that looks really cool.

Jason likes this.
  8. Some of my projects have been directly compared with gold plating a coprolite :oops:

9. Jason

Jason Gold

Very true Matt. I put a high polish on the side of this ingot for our new guy here so he could see the color.

I had to look this one up.

Coprolite
    A coprolite is fossilized feces. Coprolites are classified as trace fossils as opposed to body fossils, as they give evidence for the animal's behaviour rather than morphology. The name is derived from the Greek words κόπρος and λίθος. They were first described by William Buckland in 1829. Wikipedia

Mark's castings likes this.
  10. HT1

HT1 Gold Banner Member

and Half a dozen Youtubers have made very suyccessfull channels casting Little but Ingots !!! Pisses me off to no end . I kill myself making great art, and could probably make more $$$ concentrating on production value of My videos

V/r HT1

Jason likes this.
  11. Jason

Jason Gold

I've been saying this since I started my channel. I won't watch them and it's boring as all hell. Now YT changes it's terms of service and wants to put ads on my non monetized channel?? F-THEM!
    I would never monetize my channel given the chance and I'm 2 shakes away from pulling it completely and taking it to bitchute. Even if a channel has 100k subs, you still don't make any real money doing YT. All that changed during the ad-pocalypse. If you are not uploading quick cut, quality content at least ONCE A WEEK, you will never make it on YT. PERIOD.
    This explains the new TOS for those of us that have channels.

12. OMM

OMM Silver

Jason's last post has pretty much summarized almost everything with YouTube. I am not monetized. I produce quick on hand videos that are related to forum threads. About 2/3 of them nobody could look up... as I post them as link only. Sure, some of them I post as main stream for entertainment. But I've been warned from my daytime job that if I say anything controversial that is not kosher.... I could be relieved without notice. So I try to keep my YouTube content a little bit on the down low, and restricted and somewhat non-affiliated with my professional career.

There is the old saying don't poop where you eat. And this is leather (or fat) to chew on. I guess what I'm saying is be careful what you produce. It could come back and bite you in the ass. Think three times before you put something on the Internet!

A newbie boat builder YouTuber, not too long ago thought he should test the waters. He pulled a prank on his followers. It wasn't well received by YouTube, his followers, his supporters, Financial supporters and financial institutions. Within about four days he pulled down all the bad videos. But they were circulated and copied. He made a bed that he needed to live in that was filled with poo. I immediately stopped following this particular YouTuber everywhere!

Last edited: Nov 19, 2020
    Jason likes this.
  13. Jason

Jason Gold

lol... Yeah I refuse to watch that asshole anymore. That was a sick, twisted and sorry ass thing to do. I will never forget what he did.