free score

Discussion in 'General foundry chat' started by OMM, Jan 8, 2020.

1. OMM

OMM Silver

Yesterday I picked up...I saw a free pick up on a forum.

5 KG of Babbitt and 2.5 KG of lead.

Lead is lead...

But the Babbitt bronze is....

Our Grade 2 Babbitt is an alloy made up of 89% tin, 7.5% antimony, and 3.5% copper. Grade 2 Babbitt is generally used as a sacrificial layer for bearings among other things. Meets ASTM B23 specification. Our Babbitt is sold in 7 lb ingot form, so if you need one 7 pound ingot simply add a quantity of 1 to your cart. Please see the product images - there is a detailed certificate of analysis available for viewing. | 89% Tin | 7.5% Antimony | 3.5% Copper | Dimension 13'' X 2'' X 1.25'' | Solidus (F) - 466 | Liquid (F) - 669 | Pouring Temperature (F) - 795-805 | Density (lbs/in3) - 0.2667 | Specific Gravity (g/m3) - 7.39 | Brinell Hardness - 24.5/12 | Tensile Strength (lbs./in.2) - 9,200 | Elongation % - 8.0 | Compressive Strength (tons/in2) - 6.44 |

54C48AFE-99B4-4176-8B99-C4D9FB93C451.jpeg

joe yard and Jason like this.
  2. Jason

Jason Gold

If it's Free, it's for ME and I'll take Three!

3. Petee716

Petee716 Gold Banner Member

Freebies just don't get any better than that!

Pete

4. I have a few 7" gemstone faceting laps made from left over 11R white metal: Tin 89.5%, 7.75% Antimony and 2.75% copper, after they were machined, I cast the lathe swarf into a 2" copper tube to make a mallet. It was used a lot on conrod bearings of large marine diesels. Peter, the guy I learnt foundry work off, did this reline of a bronze prop shaft bush with 11R: it's been 8 years in the water on a fishing boat and there's almost no lube oil consumption in use and is holding up really well. It was machined with a diamond honed, razor sharp positive rake carbide tool so the crystal structure gets exposed when a truly sharp tool cuts the metal without smearing the surface

White metal 2.jpg

Last edited: Jan 9, 2020
    Tobho Mott, OMM, Jason and 1 other person like this.
  5. Jason

Jason Gold

Thats amazing.