Fuel Tank modification, for liquid fuels.

Discussion in 'Burners and their construction' started by dennis, Dec 8, 2020.

1. dennis

dennis Silver

Some time ago, I secured a 9 gallon pressure container. I have been planning to converting it into a slightly-pressurized (~ 2-5 psi, regulated) container for oil/diesel/waste cleaning solvent. (Charcoal lighter)

I have figured I need four bungs - inlet, outlet, and two for a sight glass. Thought was to use mild steel, tapped for 1/4 inch national pipe thread, for all save the inlet.

That one needs to be larger. How much larger, and what thread - I'm not decided. I know all of these fittings musn't leak. Comments desired.

2. Petee716

Petee716 Gold Banner Member

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg I've so far managed to avoid having to drill into a pressurized tank. I'm not that confident in my welding skills. It would be prudent to included a pressure relief valve though. I know you already have the tank, but if you consider a small gas hot water tank you'll have everything you need. Since I don't move mine in order use it I chose a larger tank. It has the same footprint as a smaller one and provides plenty of storage.
    3 top holes:
    Former water out hole serves as pressure in
    Former water in hole serves as oil out (already has a dip tube!)
    Anode hole serves as fill hole/pressure relief valve

Side holes:
    Former pressure relief valve hole is upper site tube hole
    Gas controller hole is lower site tube hole

It even has a ready made drain valve to tap off settled water. You can use it as-is. No need to strip it.

Pete

3. dennis

dennis Silver

If I can find one that's in usable order - I'll try it. That isn't very likely any time soon.