Gold

Discussion in 'General foundry chat' started by RichB007, Nov 15, 2020.

1. RichB007

RichB007 Copper

Is there a guide to producing a 1kg 24 carat pure gold ingot from 9, 18 22 carat jewellery.
    There is a lot of stuff on the net so I'm a bit confused and need a guide to follow
    I am awaiting delivery of an electric 3kg furnace and so far have around 200g of 9 and 18 carat gold, once i have much more i will want to start.

2. You could get a good idea of techniques from the Youtube channel "Cody's Lab" where he runs through several methods to process scrap into pure gold.

3. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Sell the lower kt gold and buy the 24 kt...

Jason likes this.
  4. OMM

OMM Silver

That is perfect. And if you really want to melt gold in small quantities without purifying, just use an Oxy-propane or acetylene torch in a dish. Jewellers have been doing this for the last 50 years without a problem.

5. OMM

OMM Silver

I'll wait for you to deliver video using your furnace and 200g of gold. Otherwise you are spam to me.

6. Jason

Jason Gold

I'm with Dave, send your scrap to the refinery and buy 24kt.

7. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

maybe, or just a lad that hasn't searched his subjects of interest very well......

You may be able to make gold slump but you won't be melting and pouring gold with a furnace that has a max of 1000c. You need to be several hundred degrees above the melt point of any metal to have a chance to pour it, and the furnace temp will need to be a bit higher that.......thus the suggestion back in your other thread about researching melting temps.

As for purifying gold.....:rolleyes:

Carry on.

Best,
    Kelly

8. metallab

metallab Silver

Gold ? Carat gold melt about at 1000 C, like brass or bronze. Even 24kt gold melts slightly lower than copper (1064 C) and can be done in a simple gas furnace with a crucible, just like copper alloys. No oxyacetylene burner needed. For small quantities (10-30g), even a hardware store pro/butane torch suffices. I have melted gold several times.
    For purifying, I recommend Cody's lab as well, but you'll need HNO3 nitric acid and HCl (muriatic) acid to make aqua regia.