Gouging Rod Drilling Jig

Discussion in 'Foundry tools and flasks' started by OCD, Dec 30, 2017.

1. J.Vibert

J.Vibert Silver

Thank you again for your efforts in posting that tutorial Rasper. I followed you build almost identically. Works great for me

2. OCD

OCD Silver

What good is a Gouging Rod Boring Jig thread without a thermocouple holder?

After seeing what everybody else has conjured up for holding their rods and thermocouples I came up with this setup.
    It allows the user to easily install and remove the rods with minimal effect yet is extremely effective.

Started out with a 52" piece of 1/2" solid steel rod, heated it up at one end and bent it at the 15" mark.
    I then cut a piece of flat bar, 1/4" x 3" for a spacer.
    Cut a piece of 3/4" ID X 3" pipe.
    The ID of the pipe was wallered out until the gouging rod fit snuggly.

Everything was tack welded off and then completely welded in place.
    Once welded the ID of the pipe sleeve had to be wallered out again until the gouging rod was able to fit snuggly yet have a firm retaining grip on it.

The thermocouple lean wires were wound around a 1/16" TIG filler rod to create a spring which was then pressed onto the thermocouple probe wire which are approximately 3/32".
    This will retain the connection wires within itself but I attempted "attempted" to spot weld the lead wiring to the probe wiring................
    We won't go there.
    If you think welding beer cans together is a challenge, try welding thermocouple wiring together. :eek:

Make sure your probe wires are "wishbone" to keep them from touching.

Once this step was completed I inserted a piece of CFB in between the probe wires, wrapped the entire setup in 2 more layers of CFB and used stainless steel welding wire to secure.
    The upper section I used 2 layers of CFB and 7018 welding wire to secure.

I then used 3/32 7018 filler wire and wound it around another piece of the 1/2" solid rod to creat some retainer spring which was used to retain the thermocouple lead wires.

The lead wires were then installed into a 2 prong thermocouple plug.
    Before closing the plug up a small amount of RTV silicone was applied for insulation the wires just for good measure.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Welding this stuff is VERY TRICKY.
    It's almost impossible (at least for me) to get a rolling puddle going without it blowing out.
    I finally set the TIG on 30 amps and feathered the pedal until I had a minute pin head arch going and still then it was almost impossible but what I did get held so I was good with that and it works.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 7, 2018
  3. Jason

Jason Gold

I had a girlfriend once that was a little "Wallered" out! :eek::rolleyes::oops::confused::(

4. OCD

OCD Silver

Did you have to strap a board to your back side to keep from falling in???

So that's how you spell that word. :D

Must be a Texas thing, wallered out. :p

Last edited: Jan 7, 2018
  5. Jason

Jason Gold

I think it depends on accent and locale. Either way, it means SLOPPY (be sure to tie a 2x4 to your ass) hole.

6. crazybillybob

crazybillybob Silver Banner Member

Sorry about that Jason...:eek: It will not happen again!;):p

7. Jason

Jason Gold

LOL...

8. OCD

OCD Silver

Everything is BIGGER in Texas, so they say. :p

9. J.Vibert

J.Vibert Silver

I like the rod holding rig. I opted for the simple 1/2" emt conduit approach. Can't remember how I attached the thermocouple to the wire.

On a side note: Every time I see the (usually inappropriate) innuendos start to fly around on this forum, I glance at the member's avatar and see "banner member" which has a striking resemblance to "banned member". Always has me thinking for a moment that things got too out of hand on the new home base...lol

10. OCD

OCD Silver

Should have seen that banner before David changed the color of the banner.

Banned Member was the first thought that came to my mind as well after I first seen it.

Didn’t you know this is the Outlaws Hideout? ;)

11. J.Vibert

J.Vibert Silver

I knew you like calling it that... ;) ...lol

Personally I'm not much of an outlaw. Although I have given serious consideration to 'J' walking on occasion.

12. OCD

OCD Silver

Or maybe it’s Outcast.
    Can’t remember which one we’re considered to be. :D

13. J.Vibert

J.Vibert Silver

"Outcast" does play as a pun for the forum topic...lol

I'd go with that one

14. crazybillybob

OCD, I see where your problem welding the thermocouple's wires comes from. That box on the bench say's Coat wire :eek:, if that's anything like coat hanger it make terrible filler rod!!:D it can work in a pinch but it's rough. Using it as a stick electrode is even worse... but again stuck in the woods with a battery and my laundry I think I can get it to stick well enough to get home!;)

CBB (changing the subject from banning the outcasto_O)

15. OCD

OCD Silver

You bone head, that says Boat Wire. Lol

I actually cut a piece of the thermocouple extension wire and tried to use that as filler wire.

Guess welding beer cans isn’t within my capabilities. :oops: :D

16. crazybillybob

Welding them??? I though we had established that the only thing they are good for is drinking them....Then take them back for your $0.10 (if you live in Mi) and buy some more! No welding or melting needed!:D

If the can is leaking so fast that you need to weld it..... DRINK FASTER!!!!;)

17. OCD

OCD Silver

Billy, never gave it much thought but after glancing at your avatar something came to mind.

Ever seen 3 monkeys trying to hump a football? :D