Grinding Refractory Recommendations

Discussion in 'Furnaces and their construction' started by Melterskelter, May 23, 2020.

1. Melterskelter

Melterskelter Gold Banner Member

Does anyone have suggestions for grinding refractory using an angle grinder or belt sander. What wheel or belt do you have experience using?
    I mainly will want to grind an eighth of an inch here and there on my fires lid segments to improve how the lay into the steel lid hoop. Grinding may not be absolutely required but could be a good option to have if needed. Refractories, being high in very hard AlOx tend not to grind easily.

Denis

2. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Diamond and coolant

Best,
    K

Jimmymmm likes this.
  3. I use the 125mm or 5" diamond coated steel angle grinder wheels intended for masonry and concrete. I go to the back of the yard, stay upwind of the fine dust cloud thrown up and grind it dry. I had to take the furnace lid hole from 4" to 5" and it wore out one of those wheels doing so.

4. Melterskelter

5. Patrick-C

Patrick-C Silver

Melterskelter likes this.
  6. And a respirator.

7. HT1

HT1 Gold Banner Member

I think I'm turning into the Grumpy old man of this forum,
    But I cannot think of anything that would make me grind on my furnace...
    and at this point my furnace is litterally held together with hose clamps..
    yes it is a couple of years overdue for replacement

V/r HT1

Mister ED, _Jason and DavidF like this.
  8. Jason

Jason Gold

You outta try drilling that stuff!:mad: Miserable experience. Diamond all the way.

9. Melterskelter

Your furnace may never need grinding. Since I am trying to put together a segmental refractory lid, some of the tiles needed a bit of fettling to improve their fit. I was able to get several helpful answers by tapping into the collective wisdom of the forum. I got my fettling done and am welding the last couple pieces of steel at this moment. The success or failure of this lid design may add yet to the collective knowledge here.

Denis

10. Sorry, you've been the grumpy onld man since as long as I've been here. Did I miss something?:D

DavidF and Melterskelter like this.
  11. Melterskelter

I did buy a diamond wheel similar to the one Patrick-C recommended and it does cut fired Blu-Ram cleanly and quite fast. It makes it possible to trim off a bit here and there to improve fitup and remove globs of refractory that can occur on a molded piece.

I also bought some inexpensive 50-grit diamond burrs for my die grinder. They also work well though a couple of them had "1/4" shafts that were over size and had to be fiddled with to work. That said they too cut quite smoothly and rapidly and seem durable.

Burrs Diamond.png

Denis

Last edited: Jun 22, 2020