Hello from Syracuse (area) NY

Discussion in 'New member introductions' started by Erik CNY, Dec 12, 2019.

1. Erik CNY

Erik CNY Copper

I have been curious about casting for years and am now working on a project where I'd like to cast a part. I still have a long way to go as things are just in the design phase at this point, but I'm planning on building a simple foundry for this small project.

To me, it is not obvious how to best go about casting the part - a mannlicher stock cap which design I will share here in the future. I hope to get some guidance and advice from this community so I don't make a mess of things.

Thanks to the folks maintaining the forum and I'm looking forward to learning more and see what else people on the forum are up to.

Best regards.
    Erik

Clay likes this.
  2. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Hi Erik and welcome to the forum.

Have you decided on what casting method ( sand, wax, lost pla) you would use??
    Not knowing what tools and equipment that is available to you, I'd suggest carving it from a block of ferris file a wax block and investment casting it...:)

3. Erik CNY

Erik CNY Copper

Thank you @DavidF
    My plan at the moment was to 3D print a slightly oversized version of the part. Make a plaster mold to burn out, or go the sand rout. To finish the part I was planning on grinding it to final size on a belt/disc combination sander.

I could, of course, buy one that is not quite the way I want it. But what would be the sense in that when I can find out how to build a foundry, build said foundry, learn how to cast, possibly fail a bunch of times and end up spending ten-twenty times the money? :)

Tobho Mott likes this.
  4. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Lol, oh you'll fit right in here...

Lost pla casting is my favorite!

5. Jason

Jason Gold

Welcome aboard! Lots of smart guys around here.

6. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Welcome Erik. If you already have a printer, pretty tough to beat lost PLA for small parts. Also will have very good accuracy and finish with a little post printing work.

Best,
    Kelly

7. Tobho Mott

Tobho Mott Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Welcome to the forum, sounds like you've got a workable plan. Looking forward to seeing it all come together!

Jeff