Hi from Amber Foundry UK

Discussion in 'New member introductions' started by amber foundry, May 24, 2021.

1. amber foundry

amber foundry Copper

Hello to all, new to the forum and looking forward to chatting with you.
    Ian

Josh likes this.
  2. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Hi Ian and welcome to THF. Looking forward to your future posts.

Best,
    Kelly

3. amber foundry

amber foundry Copper

Thank you

4. Ironsides

Ironsides Silver

Are you the same amber foundry in the UK that casts horse saddle parts and belt buckles? If so I have watched yours videos on youtube.

5. amber foundry

amber foundry Copper

Hi there,
    no that's not me. I cast bronze pieces for other artists and myself. I keep the whole process in house. All my equipment is home constructed to enable me to work alone but safely, although I try to organise pours when someone else is in the building.

6. amber foundry

amber foundry Copper

I'll stick some pictures up when I work out how.

7. Peedee

Peedee Silver

Welcome from Suffolk, picture uploads are fairly easy but the other guys will explain it better than me.

8. amber foundry

amber foundry Copper

Hi Peedee,
    as it happens I am staying at the Ship Dunwich for a couple of nights as it's my wife's birthday. My foundry is near Thaxted / Henham. Are you hobby caster or business ?

Last edited: May 26, 2021
  9. Peedee

Peedee Silver

Hi, I'm over in Elmsett, a little further in land and south from where you are now.

I'm a hobby caster although I don't get much time for it at the moment (Ie the last few years!) but I hang around the forum to generally make silly suggestions now and then.

amber foundry likes this.
  10. Petee716

Petee716 Gold Banner Member

Welcome Ian. Although some sell their castings and there are a few professional foundry-day-job guys here, we’re mostly all hobbyists with a couple of notable exceptions. Even though some of us are bare novices there is a ton of experience in casting as well as a breadth of knowledge and experience in general that I find quite impressive. It sounds like you may have some to lend as well. We are a friendly and courteous lot, forthright, with plenty of room for levity.
    The Upload a File button in the lower right hand corner of the reply text box is the way I upload pictures. Once I upload all of the pictures I want I then choose whether to show them, individually or all, as thumbnails or full size. If I choose full size I find that they will all load up at the top of the post and I then have to cut and paste them where they belong. Maybe I’m missing something, but that’s how I do it. Links to other sites are allowed and YouTube links can be pasted right into the text. Hope this helps.
    I’m looking forward to seeing your setup and following a thread or two.

Pete

11. amber foundry

amber foundry Copper

Thank you Pete.
    It will be useful to have so many heads to bounce ideas or problems off. Although I am casting part time for artists I don't count myself as an expert in any field i do have experience in many and am happy to help where I am able.

12. Tobho Mott

Tobho Mott Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Hi AF, welcome to The Home Foundry!

That's funny, the smaller pictures option is the one that gives me trouble. The previous and next buttons that option gives is nice when there isn't explanation text between the pictures, but I have found that sometimes one or two pictures in a post refuse to enlarge unless I click on its filename to bring up the pic in a whole new page with no prev/next buttons rather than the usual viewer that pops up. Then I have to click Back to return to the forum post and find my place again.

The way I do it is to first type my post, then upload all the images I want to put into the post, then go and put the cursor where I want the first pic (generally at the start of a blank line) and click the "full sized image" button for that pic. Then it's on to the next pic, and so on. Never had any trouble with pix jumping up to the top that way.

Post them whichever way works for you, Ian. Just so long as you post them! :D

Jeff

Petee716 likes this.
  13. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

What Jeff said.

Best,
    Kelly

14. Petee716

Petee716 Gold Banner Member

Thanks for that Jeff. I'll give it a go.

15. Rob Hall

Rob Hall Copper