I Make Shiny Metal Things

Discussion in 'New member introductions' started by Aaron M, Oct 21, 2020.

1. Aaron M

Aaron M Copper

Hi,

My name is Aaron, I make decorative shiny metal things from brass, bronze, and copper for a living. We're like a foundry without a furnace, but we do everything else except coat and pour, we send that out. Everything from part design, mold making, waxes, part cleaning, finishing, patina and all the other stuff goes along with that.

We do mostly investment, some sand.

We just bought a nice electric tilting furnace 70# brass capacity, we're going to bring a few of the parts in house, they are just not worth sending out, not enough sales volume to justify the foundry minimum. So we're bringing it in house, have a little fun with it, maybe make a few new pieces along the way, but mostly bring in the oddballs.

We prefer not to discuss who we are, anonymity is a wonderful thing.

The profile pic has a funny story. I was coming home from work and my face was burnt, my wife is looking and she's saying "you're sun burnt". I hadn't been outside, so we figured out that during the summer, between the heat and the torches that I was getting wind burn or something. So I wear those blue things dimmed in water and cover my face completely and in the afternoon, when the heat really kicks in, I wear an ice vest. Every bit helps.

2. Petee716

Petee716 Gold Banner Member

Welcome Aaron. You'll be at home here. I don't know how much fun you'll have with your new furnace but it will certainly be an adventure! How about some pictures of it?

Pete

3. Aaron M

Aaron M Copper

It's made by Vcella Kiln. I used to do aluminum in the back yard, pulled out enough crucibles to know it's hard on the back. Since it's hard to preheat, I'll get a side propane burner to act as a pre-heater, speed everything up.

Aaron

Attached Files:

4. Jason

Jason Gold

What kind of investment do you do??? Shell or solid block?

5. Aaron M

Aaron M Copper

Shell. Usually the foundry handles that, they have robots which makes it a lot easier. :)

6. Jason

Jason Gold

That's right, I forget you don't really cast metal... yet. We can help change that!
    Welcome to the nut house.

7. Aaron M

Aaron M Copper

Thanks!