instructions for preparing Non Ferrous heat..(NAVEDTRA 12207 Aug 1993)

Discussion in 'General foundry chat' started by HT1, Dec 5, 2017.

1. HT1

HT1 Gold Banner Member

There has been some difference in opinion on how to weigh out Heats of metal, here is the instructions I received in the 90's from the US Navy
    IMG_0682.JPG IMG_0683.JPG

V/r HT1

2. Jason

Jason Gold

So it's by weight?

3. OCD

OCD Silver

Way I'm reading it,
    Total desired weight multiplied by percentage equals total weight of compositional additives (Sn, Zn, Pb).

1 + 1 = 2......... :p

4. Jason

Jason Gold

"Public school math"

5. OCD

OCD Silver

See, you should have been paying attention in math class instead of hiding in the back sniffing that pregnant girl's panties. :eek:

6. HT1

HT1 Gold Banner Member

the example is very straight forward. say you are using 3 different types of scrap, or you have a much more complicated alloy or in the case of a ferrous heat you have 50% FeSi and 30% FeMg, the math starts getting more complicated. but there it is in BW

V/r HT1

7. Jammer

Jammer Silver Banner Member

That book is hard to find. It's in a few libraries but nothing local. It's written by Joe King?? Joking works for the Navy, who knew. I'm interested in the ferrous part just because that's what I used to do. We had to calculate for the recovery rate and percentage for each alloy but I don't have the formulas any more.

When you try to calculate how much Silicon you need when you have 75% FeSi and an 85% recovery rate, it does get a little complicated. But then you have high oxygen level in the steel and it jumps all over the Silicon so you only recover about 40%, then you pull your hair out.

I'm surprised recovery rate doesn't come in on Non-ferrous, I guess you would only have to worry about burning off elements like Zinc.