Interesting Lost PLA method

Discussion in 'Lost PLA casting' started by ddmckee54, Dec 3, 2021.

1. ddmckee54

ddmckee54 Silver

I don't know how many of you guys keep track of things on the Home Model Engine Machinist forum, but there's a thread on there that you might want to check out. Foketry is building a model of a Porsche 917 flat 12 engine. He's casting many of his parts himself, and starting at post #157 he starts using Lost PLA. The method he's using doesn't quite match anything I've seen here, appears to be relatively easy, and he gets some amazing results. Here's a link to his thread, with luck it's even close to where he starts casting with Lost PLA.
    https://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/threads/porsche-917-flat-12-engine.32972/page-8
    The rest of his thread deserves a look also.

I recommended that he join here, but his browser is giving him a warning about this being an unsecure site. I get the same warning when I access the site using Chrome, but the IE that came with this Windoze10 machine is quite happy with this site - go figure.

Don

Last edited: Dec 3, 2021
    Tobho Mott likes this.
  2. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

That's because of the https not showing on all the web pages. There is nothing " unsafe " its just I need to pay for a blanket ssl to keep the computer gods happy.
    Tell him ignore it and continue to site...

3. Monty

Monty Silver

Foketry's thread!!!......I say we start a casting monastery (no crazy oaths though!) near him. Check out that ocean view!

4. ddmckee54

ddmckee54 Silver

Monty you are absolutely correct, both on the name and the view fom the shop. I blame my dyslexic keyboard for the miss-spelling, it's either that or some dumbass spelled it wrong. No matter, I fixed it!

DavidF, I understand the we need to keep the computer gods happy. I just find it curious that both Chrome and Edge will puke when trying to access this site because it's un-secure, but the browser that came installed on this Windows10 machine is quite happy with the site. A 3rd party software that's better than Windoze? It's almost blasphemy.

Don

5. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

It's been a while since I looked in on that one. He has made remarkable progress commencing to fabricate parts this year. I think he as a lot of prior invested time in research and modeling. Modeling engine building at that level is certainly impressive and requires high levels of passion and skill.

Best,
    Kelly

6. ddmckee54

ddmckee54 Silver

Kelly it is impressive, and I agree it requires high levels of passion and skill. If for no other reason than the fact that he has to make identical copies of a lot of things 12 times to get a running engine.

It's how he's doing his lost PLA that I found really interesting, that starts at Post #157.

Don