Irrigation system?

Discussion in 'General foundry chat' started by Zapins, Mar 13, 2021.

1. dtsh

dtsh Silver

I realize this wasn't directed at me...

I live in the swamp these days, so I don't need irrigation but rather drainage, but at the old place I had trouble using up the 1500 gallons before it would refill (rain collection), but how long it lasts for someone else isn't a useful measure IMO. You'll need to calculate your demand based on the size of the garden, moisture of the soil, etc. If you're using rain collection to fill it, make sure to calculate how much the system will gather in a typical rainfall, it can be a lot more than one expects at first glance.

I'm with Jason on this, get an IBC tote and see how that works for you. Easy to get, easy to install, easy to afford, a larger tank isn't going to tick any of those boxes.

2. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Ok good plan. Why drop $800 on a 1500 gal container when a 275 gal tote for $50 bucks might work. Lol. I think the roof will supply a huge volume of water about 2000 gallons per half inch of rain. So filling won't be an issue.

3. Jason

Jason Gold

Zap, did you see the Moonshiner's episode where Josh buried a pair of IBC totes under a broken down old truck? He would open the hood of the truck, crawl down the hole where the engine was and suck out the booze! That thing held enough booze to get a town your size drunk for a month!!! Just an idea for ya!:p

4. rocco

rocco Silver

Have you done the math? That would require a roof with a foot print of just over 6400 sqft.

dtsh likes this.
  5. Zapins

Zapins Gold

I think its about 2000 sq feet. So maybe a bit less I guess.

6. Zapins

Zapins Gold

7. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

I'd say gravity is your friend...

Petee716 and dtsh like this.
  8. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Need something to pressurize the sprinkler heads and to pump water up a slight hill to front garden

9. mytwhyt

mytwhyt Silver

This was an interesting read.. Filled me with envy... I'm 20 years into a 40 year drought.. It's rained 1/4 inch since the last post.. This is a good place for drip hardware..
    DRIP IRRIGATION ALL — onestopoutdoor.com

10. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Good link, thanks. I will have to finish connecting up the system over winter so its ready for spring rains. So many projects going in right now. Getting the garden ready for spring.