Is this crucible done or getting close?

Discussion in 'General foundry chat' started by JBC, Feb 20, 2022.

1. JBC

JBC Copper

I've used this crucible for a few years mostly with aluminum. I've now used it four times with silicone bronze.
    Can this thing still be used or is it done?

Attached Files:

2. Petee716

Petee716 Gold Banner Member

Here’s my opinion.
    7CD3D5E3-513A-4D4F-9040-C96F3D8F4A0B.jpeg

That’s not to be a wise- guy. I had just used a crucible of similar condition to the one pictured which failed during a silicon bronze heat. I was fortunate that it failed while still in the furnace instead of during a pour. But make no mistake, it was still a significant misfortune to have 5 lbs of molten bronze spilled in the furnace. The broken crucible showed depletion of the graphite in its cross section that reflected the alligatoring effect visible on its exterior, ie mostly depleted on the upper portion.
    I probably could have gotten away with a few more Al pours on the one in the garbage can, but that crucible was cheap, was well used, and didn’t owe me anything. The failed one was a wake up call. Although I still have a couple clay graphite crucibles in good condition left for melting aluminum, I have gone to Salamander Supers for melting bronze and have recently replenished my inventory of crucibles exclusively with SS’s.

Pete

3. JBC

JBC Copper

SS crucibles eh? Thank you for answering my follow-up question.
    That crucible took aluminum like a champ but went south after switching to silicone bronze.

4. Petee716

Petee716 Gold Banner Member

My experience exactly.
    Yes, Salamander Super. I get mine from Legend.

Lmine.com

5. JBC

JBC Copper

Thank you. I just ordered one from them. Rio Grande was out = new supplier!
    Thanks again.
    jbc

Last edited: Feb 20, 2022
  6. Foundry Rat

Foundry Rat Silver

Had a small furnace with a 30 pot, and no money. Someone gave me an old clay crucible that I used for a heat. I made the heat, lifted the pot out with tongs and put it straight into the pouring shank then poured. Carried it back to the furnace and set the shank down, pot slide out and literally fell apart. I don't see how the old pot got thru the heat. Dodged a bullet on that one.
    I'll never again use clay pots.