KOR dead

Discussion in 'General foundry chat' started by PatJ, Jul 31, 2019.

1. PatJ

PatJ Silver

For those who have followed the ytube phenomena, KOR with 11 million subscribers is dead today.
    These guys just get too wacky for their own good, and will try anything for views.
    He went down in a paraglider.

I never cared for his over-the-top style, but he was quite a fixture in ytube circles.

Grant Thompson - RIP

2. rocco

rocco Silver

The KOR didn't get a lot of love and respect in this neighbourhood but even so, I never like to see anyone meet an untimely demise.

RIP Grant

3. PatJ

PatJ Silver

I have followed another guy on ytube that does paragliding, and he started doing base jumping.
    The trend seems to be that folks will do ever increasingly risky things for views, and that seems to hold in the foundry burner world too for some (I won't mention names).

I don't think Grant will be the last too go; I have seen a lot of risky behavior.
    Ytubers beware. Stupid stuff will get you dead.
    Showing others how to do risky stupid stuff can get them dead too.

My wife considers what I do to be wild and crazy, as do many others, but I do it under controlled conditions, and wear a lot of leathers and other safety equipment.

My ytube views per video are generally in the double digits, and that is because I post videos because I like to do foundry work and share that information with others, not because I am shilling for ytube views.

I consider driving around the expressway in this town far more risky than foundry work, because you can't control the crazies that drive past you weaving in and out of traffic at 100 (+) mph.
    One guy came past me doing at least 100 mph, crossed 5 lanes of traffic to get onto the off ramp, realized he was going way too fast when he saw traffic backed up on the ramp, slammed on the brakes, did a complete 180 at high speed, and slid several hundred feet to a halt backwards just behind the stopped cars. Had I not see it, I would never believe it could be done without actually causing an accident.

And another guy in front of me was not so lucky.
    He did the same thing, but slammed into someone else who was headed up the off ramp. He jerked hard back onto the expressway, and hit several other cars right in front of me before spinning out in the median.

The things I have no control over are what I consider dangerous.
    I will take the risks of foundry work any day compared to driving in this city, or any large city.

Be safe and wise fellow backyard casters.
    There is no instant replay to do it over again.
    "Life" does not consist of getting the most ytube views.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2019
  4. Petee716

Petee716 Gold Banner Member

That's too bad. Dance your dance till the music stops.

Pete

5. PatJ

PatJ Silver

I bought a parasail about 12 years ago, and decided I wanted to try that.
    I figured I would play around with the sail only, and if that went well, then I would buy the motor pack.
    It did not go well.
    Just playing around with it while running on the ground could be dangerous if there was any wind at all.
    The thing will toss you around like a rag doll, and if your feet are on the ground or close too it, generally it is not fatal.
    Up in the air, in a perfect world, every flight will be perfect.
    This is far from a perfect world.

It did not take long to figure out that parasailing would have a lifespan similar to crop dusting pilots, or less.
    My parasail went into storage, and there it remains.
    Anyone interested in a slightly used parasail, PM me.
    Buyer assumes all risks with the purchase !

6. Jason

Jason Gold

Sorry to see anyone so young bite the bullet. As you get older and a wife and kid comes into the picture, it's a good idea to tone things down at least for them.
    When you are worth 6mil+ I don't think strapping on a $2000 kite sounds like a good idea. Grant was making 800k a year, buy a jet, hire a professional pilot and get drunk in the back.
    THAT'S how it's done.

7. PatJ

PatJ Silver

I have been watching this guy and his girlfriend fly paramotors.
    He has been lucky so far, but he also got into base jumping, so it is just a matter of time.

There is a crash at 7:30, when the another guy (not this guy) hits a wind shear and his wing folds.
    He was very very lucky.
    Grant, not so much.

8. Jason

Jason Gold

Was grant flying one of these? If so, he was dumber than I thought! Florida is littered with these clowns. It's a miracle I never hit one.

9. Rasper

Rasper Silver

It beats lying in your own urine in a crummy state-run nursing home stuck full of tubes, which is the ultimate fate of most Americans.

Richard

joe yard likes this.
  10. Jason

Jason Gold

You have a point there Richard, but he still had a lot of living to do first.

11. I'm sorry to hear of Grant's passing, I learnt of it from Cody over at Cody's lab. He mentioned how Grant did a few collaborations and really helped him in the beginning. King of Random was really not to my tastes but it seems Grant was a genuine type of guy. Another YouTuber lost here was Aussie50 who apparently committed suicide due to the black dog of depression. Big Clive has a nice obituary about him:

My personal idea of dangerous aviation are those tiny autogyros that people build, they were dropping out of the skies regularly in the 1970's and 80's as there were a few dangerous manoeuvres inherent in the physics of their flight mode.

12. Melterskelter

Melterskelter Gold Banner Member

Statistics on this are interesting:

READ COMPLETE ARTICLE

As the baby boom generation ages, and many are considering whether they will need to have long-term care insurance, one of the first questions asked is “what are the odds that I will end up in a nursing home? Another is “what percentage of today’s elderly need this type of care?”

Some statistics:

First, currently 5 percent of the older population lives in nursing homes (skilled care facilities), with an average life-expectancy of approximately six months upon entrance into the nursing home.

Second, you can assume that all things being equal, we can expect an equal proportion of baby boomers to reside in nursing homes at any given time. There are an estimated 78 million baby boomers. So, approximately 5 percent, or 3.9 million are expected to head for these facilities. Today, a senior citizen (65+) has about a one-in-four chance of spending time in a nursing home (skilled care facility).

Third … and this is where the predictions about baby boomers and nursing homes gets a little fuzzy. The types of facilities available to the elderly are increasing. For example, 10 years ago, the elder lived in a home (residence) or in a nursing home (skilled care facility). And that was it.

Now, housing options for elders are increasing with the introduction of custodial care facilities like adult congregate living facilities (ACLF)…there are level-one and level-two ACLFs. The ACLF “levels” refer to levels of care. Some seniors only need housekeeping and a hot meal. Others need assistance with dressing and bathing. Here’s the point. Many of today’s seniors who are now in nursing homes (because they have nowhere else to go) will continue to be diverted to ACLFs in the future, reducing the nursing home population.

Finally, factor in new policies such as reverse mortgages which allow dependent elders to stay in their own homes, using the equity to pay for “in-home care”… further reducing nursing home stays.

What do we know for sure? About 14 percent of all people over age 65 have two to three chronic conditions that erode their ability to live independently. While we may not know exactly how many baby boomers will reside in a “nursing home”, we do know that about 14 percent of this population will become vulnerable enough to require extra care. Based on that statistic, we can expect nearly 11 million vulnerable boomers requiring assistance.

While the housing trends (more options) have changed, the aging process has not. Though science has advanced both our understanding of aging and the medicines for intervention, Americans continue to ignore that knowledge. They’re over-eating, over-weight, get too little exercise, and endure continued isolation brought on by the computer age. Remember, 75 percent of the factors that determine how someone will fare in later life are the result of lifestyle, not the aging process.

Denis

13. OMM

OMM Silver

KOR, RIP.

He did a lot of videos. Most of them interesting. 38 years old is a little bit too young with the wife and family!

14. Jason

Jason Gold

My grandfather just died a month short of making it to 100. We had to put him in a nursing home. He was gone in just a couple of months. He lived at home and with a few visits a week he was happy and in better shape. I've got a neighbor now thats 89 and he has someone stop at his house once a day. What I see is people are choosing to stay home as long as possible. Nursing homes are anything but cheap. For my grandfather, it was around 4k a month for the most basic care you have ever seen. It's a SCAM is what it is.

Denis is right. Obesity is way outta control in this country. If the airlines can charge you an extra seat for being a "customer of size", these people need to be paying more for HC insurance and life insurance. But NOOO... that would be discriminating. Over eating is just as destructive as smoking and smokers pay higher rates! 20 extra pounds on you at 75 is a good idea, when you get sick, you'll need it. 100 extra pounds is never acceptable at any age. I have in laws that are morbidly obese and they just won't put the fork down. Most are well over 260-280lbs and lead seriously sedimentary lifestyles. When we visit, EVERYTHING they do involves food and more food. When I get home from there, I tell my wife not to cook for the next WEEK! I fear for their futures because I know it's going to be hard on my wife.:( (AND ME!:eek:)

Eat to live, don't live to eat ~ Benjamin Franklin

Matt, 38 is way too young with a wife and kid. Conducting risky activities with a family isn't too responsible in my opinion. Not that anyone gives a shit anymore about being responsible.:rolleyes:
    Today, It's all ME, NOW and F. U.:rolleyes:

I remember gyrocopters. I watched those guys in georgia screwing around with them. NO THANKS! Too many parts all trying to escape each other. Helicopters is another animal I have no desire to screw with.

15. OMM

OMM Silver

Sometimes people get lost and reality catches up with them.

I’ve been reading about fractal deaths. It is a hobby or maybe a profession.

It’s taking apart microwaves and getting the transformer. Then soaking with a salt water a piece of wood and electrocuting it. Guys just die enjoying their hobbies. Many places got rid of death by electrocution. It seems like some guys don’t really get what they’re playing with. Almost all woodworking shows have band any kind of promotion of this hobby(for good reason).

16. Jason

Jason Gold

I saw that!:eek: Somethings should not be on YouTube. I wonder how many children get injured or die because of crap they see on YT? :( Sounds like a good question for the old game of Card Sharks back in the 70's.

17. Gippeto

Gippeto Silver

18. _Jason

_Jason Silver

Not to sound fatalistic or anything....but I told my wife that when the time comes to just put me on my motorcycle and say a prayer for me. At least I'd go with my boots on smiling. With any luck, I'll look like ET going across the moon and make it interesting for the accident investigators.

19. Jason

Jason Gold

I was looking for an ET gif for you Richard, but found this instead.
    It's better than an alien on a bike.

https://i.imgur.com/bImWr4I.gif

I thought gifs would work on the site.:confused:

20. _Jason

_Jason Silver