Making charcoal

Discussion in 'General foundry chat' started by Zapins, Feb 27, 2021.

1. Zapins

Zapins Gold

I want eating grapes not wine grapes! :)

2. rocco

rocco Silver

Concord type grapes are good for that, if you've never had them before they're quite different from your average grocery store grape, they have slip skins meaning if you squeeze the grape, the flesh slips out of the skins whole, you swallow the flesh and suck the juice out of the skin, I don't find the skins pleasant to eat so I discard them but opinions on that vary, some people love the skins too. Concords are wonderfully sweet with just enough acidity to offset that intense sweetness. They also make very good juice and jelly.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2021
  3. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Oh yes I've had them before. I dont like the skins either but flesh is nice.

There was this variety I had in Greece that were huge purple/black grapes that were extremely tasty. But I don't know what variety they were or if there was an American equivalent. They must have been nearly golf ball sized and super sweet.

I like those and seedless green grapes.

I want to plant some cherry trees, nectarines, plums, peaches, apple, and maybe an American pawpaw tree tho my neighbor who died has a pretty big one on the boundary of my yard so I suppose I could just be happy with that instead of planting another.

4. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Those would have been muscadine grapes I think.... I've been thinking about planting a few to see how they do.
    Concord grapes are pretty good, but the Brianna are alot sweeter. Brianna is a table or wine grape..

5. rocco

rocco Silver

In my area, most of the peaches and nectarines are grown in places with sandy soil and other tree fruits and grapes tend to be grown in clay soils.