Muller questions (prepping for Build)

Discussion in 'Foundry tools and flasks' started by crazybillybob, Oct 29, 2018.

1. crazybillybob

crazybillybob Silver Banner Member

Ok, so I'm sick of fighting my pertobond every time I use it to then have half the mold fall out at least once on me. I've been manually "mulling" my sand really I think fluffing it is a better description because there's very little rubbing action going on in the bucket with the paint mixed running. So I think it's time to make a muller.
    It just so happens that I ave access to a small cnc plasma table now too. I'm thinking of layering 2 sheets of 1/4" steel for the bottom about 15.5" in Dia. Then making the sides out of 16ga steel. I'm going 15.5 because I can get the sides out of a 4' wide sheet of 16ga. How deep do I need to make the sides? I've looked at photos of similar sized machines and I can't really tell if there's some rule of thumb that says height is x times width or something to that effect.
    Thanks for any input.
    CBB

2. Tobho Mott

Tobho Mott Gold Banner Member

Mine is a different animal (cement mixer conversion) but it seems to work best when the sand is not deeper than the axle of the wheel in the drum. Maybe that is because of the wheel type or the fact that muller pushes the wheel rather than pulling it, or even due to its fairly low powered motor, I'm not sure. Hope it helps...

Jeff

3. Al Puddle

Al Puddle Silver

The sides of the muller should be slightly higher than the height of the wheels since they are kicking up sand that adheres to the wheel. The depth of the sand in the muller will be only a few inches.

4. crazybillybob

So it sounds like I need to do some more CAD* work and figure out the size of wheels before I go and cut the sides. Thanks guys! (digging around for scissors, tape, glue and Cardboard for a C.A.D. template)

* C.A.D.-Cardboard aided design :)

Rtsquirrel likes this.
  5. Tobho Mott

Tobho Mott Gold Banner Member

I always thought the C stood for Cereal-box... :D

Jeff

crazybillybob likes this.
  6. crazybillybob

I'm all out of Cereal.... but I do seem to have a plethora of Amazon boxes kicking around ;)

Tobho Mott likes this.