My crucible literally melted

Discussion in 'General foundry chat' started by Miles Lowry, Sep 30, 2020.

1. Miles Lowry

Miles Lowry Copper

I was doing a copper melt and my graphite clay crucible melted 20200930_231934.jpg

2. HT1

HT1 Gold Banner Member

WILD GUESS based on the damage, your crucible is too large for your furnace, and was probably not centered.
    need to know more about your entire rig, and some pictures to make an informed oppinion,
    definately want to know your crucible source so I dont get any there,

V/r HT1

3. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Where did the crucible come from? What was the fuel? Any fluxes involved? That coupled with highly oxidizing flame could do that.

Best,
    Kelly

4. Miles Lowry

Miles Lowry Copper

I bought the crucible from Amazon. It probably wasn't centered because of the pooling metal in the bottom of my foundry I can center it but when the floor melts the crucible shifts. I have a helium tank foundry with a propane torch. I'll add photos when I get home.

5. JamesLeon

JamesLeon Copper

Happened to me recently in my electric furnace. Just 1 copper melt and 2/3rds of it oxidized away. Was an unbranded pure graphite one from China. Definitely need to invest more next time.

6. I'm starting to see a pattern here, it's going to be one of those cheap ones with flowerpot clay with lots of fine cracks and tiny lumps of previously fired clay mixed in and not enough graphite.

JamesLeon likes this.
  7. Miles Lowry

Miles Lowry Copper

this one did last at least 10 meltings but I had noticed that it was becoming more and more elastic each time.

8. Petee716

Petee716 Gold Banner Member

I've had my go-around with cheap ones and will probably have more. Trying to acheive high temps to melt bronze really punishes the cheap clay-graphites. I think it's the air that really beats them up. By contrast I have a #18 that I use only for aluminum and after 10 or more heats it's still in excellent condition.

Pete

9. Miles Lowry

Miles Lowry Copper

The one I used for aluminum cracked and it was a more expensive crucible

10. Jason

Jason Gold

No direct flame impingement! This will shorten the life severely of any quality crucible.

11. Miles Lowry

Miles Lowry Copper

Thanks, I had no idea. I guess I'll know now.