my first pour, a miserable failure.

Discussion in 'Castings, finishing/ repair/ and patina's' started by Miles Lowry, Aug 20, 2020.

1. Miles Lowry

Miles Lowry Copper

20200824_194018.jpg Well i produced a perfect copy of the sprue. The foam of the skull disappeared but no copper skull was produced.

2. Tobho Mott

Tobho Mott Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Too bad. Got any more foam skulls to try again with?

At least it's a pretty nice looking copper sprue...:D

Looks like you made the sprue sort of pointy, might have been too narrow there and froze off too quickly. Got any pictures of the skull attached to the sprue still in foam form?

Jeff

3. Miles Lowry

Miles Lowry Copper

No, it didn't occur to me to take a picture before hand. I haven't found anymore foam skulls, I do have some hollow plastic skulls. Would that work?

4. I know it seems backwards, but practicing with aluminum helps you get your arms around everything. People have varied results with brass and foam, copper is tougher to cast than brass or bronze.

Thin plastic likely will not vaporize fast enough to allow an adequate casting, and if it's thin, you'll likely have the metal front cool before it can fill much of the intended space.

In your first try the copper may have cooled off before the casting was complete.

If you don't have a skull you like you might try just casting a simple shape like a rectangle of styrofoam. When you can do that successfully then you have a better shot at casting your next skull you find.

Tobho Mott likes this.
  5. Miles Lowry

Miles Lowry Copper

Yeah I tried a disk this morning I'll post the pictures soon, it's not pretty.