New fad - Satanite over dense castable - any point?

Discussion in 'Furnaces and their construction' started by Tobho Mott, Jun 30, 2018.

1. Tobho Mott

Tobho Mott Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

I've noticed a few casting hobbyists recently building a furnace with dense castable, then adding a thin layer of satanite over it.

Is there any point to this? I 100% understand using satanite to rigidize ceramic fiber blanket or protect soft insulating bricks, and I also get using something reflective like ITC100 over castable, but why use satanite over dense castable refractory?

Best answer I've seen so far: somebody suggested it helps spread the heat out so you don't get a hot spot where the burner hits the wall, but rather a more evenly heated furnace. Is this true? Seems fishy to me, since until just recently I never saw anyone build a furnace that way.

Jeff

2. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

I thought it was because it would stand up to flux better then the refractory by itself..???

3. Jason

Jason Gold

nahhh... 1) I'm too cheap and 2) It's not necessary. My mizzou is thicker in the area where the flame first whacks the wall. No issues here, so why screw with it?

A thin layer of schmoo laid onto the walls can't compare to me turning up the oil flow a little bit. One thing I'm not short of is heat or free fuel.:p

Rtsquirrel likes this.
  4. You flux your furnace? I'm still trying to learn.

5. Jason

Jason Gold

nahh... some guys throw flux at their metal, miss and there you have it. Same thing happens when ya use borax and forge weld. It trashes your forge. No forge welding for me
    and no flux in my crucibles. Problem solved. :p

6. It was my crude attempt to be humorous.:eek:

I've not yet got a gas forge, I forge weld in a coal forge and the borax just winds up as clinker. I make lots of clinkers anyway since I use cheap coal.

Jason likes this.
  7. Jason

Jason Gold

I should have caught your bs comment, the internet is crappy like that.;)
    I guess jokes on me because I fell for it hook line and sinker. :(:oops:

8. Well, I'm at fault because you guys don't really know me. People I know never take me seriously.

Rtsquirrel likes this.