Discussion in 'New member introductions' started by C. Edwin Garner, Jul 2, 2019.

1. Hey folks,

I provide technical support for a bronze artist and our goal is to bring the casting operation into the studio . We have put out much of her output to commercial foundries but find that much artistic control is lost when it is not in your own hands. We have cast small objects ourselves by various methods in other spaces/shops and have really enjoyed getting closer to the metal and driving each part of the process.

So I am building a small bronze forge here in NM to produce smaller objects (<60 lbs).

Thanks for supporting a great forum for learning and teaching metal foundry methods. I have learned much just browsing.

Best regards,

CEG

2. Petee716

Petee716 Gold Banner Member

Welcome to the forum. Post some pictures of your progress. We love pictures!

Pete

C. Edwin Garner likes this.
  3. Welcome! Lot's of bronze interest here.

C. Edwin Garner likes this.
  4. Jason

Jason Gold

Welcome aboard CEG... There is a ton of truth to your reason to starting a home foundry. I for one would have never paid the high rates to a foundry to produce bronze stuff. What is your method, ceramic shell or solid investment? We have members here doing both. If you look on the main page, you will see both of these specialties. I run ceramic shell at home and I'm having a blast doing it. I'm not trying to pump out lots of work, just a few special pieces a year is enough to keep me happy. As the others said... PHOTOS! Lots of PHOTOS!
    Browse this thread, many of us also have youtube pages too. :D
    http://forums.thehomefoundry.org/index.php?threads/members-video-channels.188/

5. Thanks Jason,
    I plan to pick your brain and that of others.

We primarily cast with shell investment but also cast in plaster investment depending on size, timing, etc. I am a photographer so don't worry about photos. There will be plenty.

Ed

6. YakTriangle

YakTriangle Copper

Welcome.

I guess many artists don't have the resources to cast their designs themselves which is why they outsource but I have often wondered about the artistic control of such things. For example, some photos were posted on my Instagram feed recently showing a foundryman applying the patina to a piece. That did strike me as particularly odd ... why do they not invite the artist into the foundry to do that because surely that is a crucial part of the artistic process and end result!

7. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Looking forward to pics. I cast bronze shell as well.

I think it makes sense for a commercial artist to outsource the casting. Casting is time consuming. Jason's right. Only a few prices a year are possible on your own if you are working a day job. If you were trying to make money off it you'd really have to devote every minute to it. Still odd that artists don't get to fine tune the patina. Maybe they just tell the foundry which patina they want where and that's good enough?

8. Jason

Jason Gold

That's about the size of it Zap. Fritz told me this is kinda how it works. Ya get what ya get with these guys. He said getting the correct depth with patina is a crapshoot. The foundries crank this stuff out fast in order to make the money. Again the old adage applies here. Time, money, quality.. Pick two!

I like the way we do it. That's kinda why I'm of the mindset to say screw making molds. I'm bored stiff after the first piece anyways. The 10 Roses taught me that lesson quick. One of a kind is the way to go, pay the money or ya dont own it, simple as that! I work 60-80hrs a week and twice as hard while at home! I've got little spare time as it is. I've been tracking it this time on that porch light. I'll be lucky to make 20bucks an hr on that one if I can even sell it.:rolleyes:

9. Tobho Mott

Tobho Mott Gold Banner Member

Does that include all the R&D with the glass? If so, the next one (if there was going to be one) should go a lot faster...

Artist Scott Nelles does all his own casting in his own foundry. Well, he has a guy working for him who runs the furnace and pours the molds, but it's his own shop. Saw him profiled on PBS' A Craftsman's Legacy, episode title was The Sand Caster. Amazing...

But... that's all done with sand casting, which would make a huge difference in the time it takes. Looking at his work though, you'd swear it was all done using lost wax...

http://nellesstudios.com/

Jeff

10. Jason

Jason Gold

Really cool stuff Jeff. Amazing he does all that in sand.:eek: Thanks for sharing his work.

11. YakTriangle

YakTriangle Copper

Wow ... Scott Nelles' work is very nice. All the more so considering it's all done in sand alone. Thank you for sharing.

12. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Welcome CEG. I'm sure you'll find the forum to be a good resource and look forward to your future posts.

Best,
    Kelly