Newbie Metal Worker from Rincon, GA

Discussion in 'New member introductions' started by Leland Ford, Jun 14, 2023.

1. Leland Ford

Leland Ford Copper

Happy to have found this forum on metal casting. Watched Kelly Coffield's series of videos on Youtube and have been inspired by the quality of his workmanship.

My background is in technology. I am a retired electronic hardware and software engineer. Woodworking has been my hobby to date. I have not done much metalworking. Just dabbled a few welding grapes and have yet to master that skill. Bought a small little bench-top lathe and have turned a few plastic parts but nothing to boast about. :)

Many years ago I collected the Dave Gingery book series on sand casting and shop tool making. Now that I am retired and have more time, think I'm going to have to finally get into casting. Project one will be the melting furnace. Wish me luck. Going to be really hard to match Kelly's work though. :)

Leland

Tops likes this.
  2. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Welcome Leland. Woodworking skills translate well into foundry pattern work. It's also very useful if you can do some basic metal fab and welding to make your foundry equipment. I like making machinery as much as using it. Look forward to your future posts.

Best,
    Kelly

Leland Ford, Tops and Tobho Mott like this.
  3. Tobho Mott

Tobho Mott Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Welcome to the nut house! I have the Gingery books too. Started out with book 1, built the charcoal furnace and had great fun with it for a couple years before ditching that sooty mess and switching to waste oil and propane fired furnaces. Still haven't started on the Gingery machines, but maybe this will be the year... :D

Jeff

Leland Ford and Tops like this.
  4. Tops

Tops Silver Banner Member

Welcome!

Leland Ford likes this.