Newbie with a crucible question.

Discussion in 'General foundry chat' started by hotwelder3, Apr 24, 2018.

1. hotwelder3

hotwelder3 Lead

Ive been casting for around two months. Im definitely learning alot. Lots to learn though. But my question.
    I shopped around trying to find the exact size crucible I wanted to fit my new furnace. For what i thought was a good price. I comparison shopped online and thought i found what i wanted and ordered it. When it showed up it was an inch larger in almost every dimension. Than what i ordered. It was supposed to be 8" tall it was 9" tall. It was supposed to be 7.25" deep it was 8" and so on.
    Now am i being to particular ? Or should it have been alot closer to what was advertized?
    Or is my inexperience making me look ......well you know?

2. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Typically they are "close" to the advertised size. They usually spray paint the crucible size ( IE #8 ) on it. Is that visible? and is it the size you ordered?

3. I bought a Chinese made crucible that has the volume of an A20 but is an inch wider and an inch shorter than a Morgan A20 crucible.

4. hotwelder3

hotwelder3 Lead

No nothing painted on it. Well thats my question. Is an inch taller and an inch bigger O.D. what i ordered. No it is not.

5. Tobho Mott

Tobho Mott Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

You can try to return or replace it, or you can try to work with it. Have you already built a furnace based on the dimensions you were expecting? I built mine oversized so I'd have room to go up a size or three at some point if I ever want to. Although the usual advice is to build the furnace around the crucible...

Welcome the the forum by the way!

Jeff

6. Petee716

Petee716 Gold Banner Member

Welcome. It probably should have been closer to the advertised size. Maybe they mispicked or maybe you miscued when you ordered it, who knows. Lots of things can get crossed up in the supply chain depending on who you're dealing with. If it fits your furnace and doesn't cause clearance problems with your lifting tools then what the heck. It might make a difference depending on your fuel. Oil burners require a little more breathing room than propane.
    I buy all of mine from Legend Mining, Sparks, Nevada. Look under assaying supplies. I use budget graphite. Decent price, dependable.

Pete

Jason likes this.
  7. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Soory for your troubles. Mayber as Pete says or perhaps internal dimensions instead of external? In any case, being able to relay on external size and shape is also an important factor for your handling tools.

Best,
    Kelly

8. hotwelder3

hotwelder3 Lead

Thanks for the Legend mining tip. I returned the first one and bought one from them. Hopefully it arrives the stated size.
    Thanks again

9. Jason

Jason Gold

Lifting and pour shanks should always be made on site WITH the crucible already in hand. Crucibles tend to get a little fatter when hot and loaded with metal.