Not secure

Discussion in 'General foundry chat' started by OMM, Jun 3, 2019.

1. OMM

OMM Silver

Most forums I frequent have a little “lock” in front of the search bar. This forum says “not secure”. What does this mean? Can the forum moderators/administrators elaborate in full detail?

I am using iOS devices.

2. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

It means I need to spend another $15.00 a month for a blanket SSL to make that warning go away :rolleyes: The one I have on it now is only covering part of the forum because of the way I have forum buried down the tree to keep spam bots from being able to easily access it. (not on first page)

3. I was afraid other people could see what I post.:eek:

4. OMM

OMM Silver

I’m not a computer guy. But I thought it was more to do with personal information. If you put somewhere (that only admin might be able to see) on the forum private information like email address, telephone number maybe mailing address... that this information could be hacked by bots.

5. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Maybe, but the spam callers already seem to know how to auto dial our cells and spam email us without having ever shared that info, so securing it doesn't seem to make much of a difference imo.

6. Jammer

Jammer Silver Banner Member

Who else will send you Russian Girls that want to meet you?

7. True. But I'm on the verge of being set up for life. Met this Prince from Nigeria online, he's in a bind and it looks like he will let me help him out. I feel so fortunate...

8. Zapins

Zapins Gold

I've got a couple free cars waiting for me and a free vacation cruise to boot. Must be our lucky year?

9. Jason

Jason Gold

I know ALL those people! They got me on a first name basis. I'm not concerned anymore if people have ALL my info. They can have it! Froze my credit last year.
    Best decision I ever made. Costs 30bucks and another 30bucks to unfreeze it. I sleep better and life lock can take a flying F.

10. OMM

OMM Silver

Some of you might think this is a little bit of a joke. Many Internet companies/forums... sell private information. This is where the cold call phone calls or emails, from the IRS(or where ever)a bank... in Nigeria. They got your private information from someone you trusted... it’s funny. I have six different email addresses And two different phone numbers. I only use one phone number and one email address for all Internet information. That information is being sold.

I have an elderly aunt who just about got stung by one of these IRS scams. She was about to transfer $5000 before her daughter caught her saying what the heck. These people must be making money. Nobody does anything for months on end for free!

11. Jason

Jason Gold

IRS scam? Hell, someone filed my TAXES for me a couple of years ago! The IRS contacted me, it was obvious to them it wasn't me. I haven't seen a refund in over 2 decades! They probably gave me 3-4 kids too. :rolleyes:

12. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Info may be being sold, but I'm not convinced that scammers need the phone numbers sold to them. I got a 2nd cell phone and gave the # to nobody and still get 2 to 3 spam calls a day on it. Brand new # and everything. I think they just have a computer program randomly dialing numbers with saved messages.

13. Peedee

Peedee Silver

Auto-dialing. Our cheif technical officer got a call from his wife at home to say someone from microsoft had called about his problem computer at home, she'd logged him in but the 'microsoft guy' hadn't called back?

The language in the office that day was quite unbelievable! (I wasn't hiding in lab giggling uncontrollably, honest)

14. Petee716

Petee716 Gold Banner Member

A local company got ransomed in a similar way recently only the scammers didn't get access from an unsuspecting wife, they got it from the companies own IT department!

Because of the safety warning that comes up on THF I never open the site on our network at my job. My IT has several firewalls set up and I heed their warnings. I pay them for their expertise in that arena and I have to trust their judgement. There's more at stake there than just my identity. But I guess if someone really wants in they'll find a way. I participate here mostly on my phone or iPad at home.
    One way to get an idea of what's out there on you is to google your own name and see what info the slimy sites are offering. The free sections of them sometimes even show your cell phone number.

There's a new scam going around here lately (Buffalo) where you get text from a relation whose in the county lock-up and needs bail money.

Pete

15. Peedee

Peedee Silver

This was his home PC they got and we were working on connected home gateways at the time, she thought she was being helpful (LOL)
    I think it was her two only good attributes that helped make the peace after several days of bitching (and they were after-market 'improvements')

16. Jason

Jason Gold

17. Tobho Mott

Tobho Mott Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

I get called by "the technical department" about "problems with my windows PC" almost daily. Sometimes I tell them we are Amish and have no computers or phones at all. The no phones thing doesn't seem to phase him even though this conversation is happening via telephone... Most times I just tell him where to go, and to stop calling. That never works for long.

Jeff

18. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

my personal cell hardly ever gets any spam calls, but my work cell blows up all day long ever since the company thought it would be a great idea to add all the company cell phone numbers to the "do not call list" ;)

19. Peedee

Peedee Silver

That Lewis is a clever chap, wish I had the time and patience to deal with morons!