Oklahoma Steam Thresher Association

Discussion in 'General foundry chat' started by oldironfarmer, May 3, 2019.

1. Steam engine show today and tomorrow. I'm going to operate the Corliss steam engine. It was build in 1912 and was one of a pair which provided electricity for the Blackwell Zinc Company smelter from 1912 until they close din 1973. Both engines made the run and were never replaced. This one was donated to the Pawnee County Fairgrounds with it's generator (about 10' diameter). Engine has a 20 inch bore and 36 inch stroke. Make a nice sound.

Oklahoma Steam Thresher Association has a good show with lots of steam engines, including a 110 hp Case. Usually 50 engines there. I made a time lapse video of part of the 2012 parade.

2. Jason

Jason Gold

Hope you get us some cool video... Don't time lapse it. The longer the better on these. Bring on the steam, noise, and coal smoke!

3. If I must... :rolleyes:

I spent my time today throwing wood into the boiler to feed the stationary engine. We were actually supplying steam to the large engine, a smaller generator, another stationary engine, and a trailer full of model engines.

I'll try to get some more pictures tomorrow, we had a gully washer today.

The Corliss engine, red steamer in foreground is a small 120v unit. Big one is 480v 3 phase.

IMG_5680.JPG

I spent the day looking in the furnace. So what else is new?

IMG_5684.JPG

Nearby lightening strikes and the area lost power. We were making our own with sawmill slabs.

IMG_5681.JPG

This guy was running around all day.

IMG_5678.JPG

All the crowds left when the rain hit so the participants had a great day.:D

_Jason likes this.
  4. Tobho Mott

Tobho Mott Gold Banner Member

Looks like a good time!

Jeff

5. Jason

Jason Gold

That was awesome! I love seeing this old stuff run. It was cool to hear the load placed on that steam engine when the saw blade was cutting.. I'm guessing all speeder spring and flyweights high tech stuff? Prop governors work with this tried and true method... All of which work against a preloaded spring and it's bias can be set by the pilot. When the weights fall (slowing down) the oil valve shifts and ports oil to the piston to adjust blade angle and alter the speed. Those old bastards really had their act together for the day.

Note to self: If you shoot video with a phone, turn it sideways!

6. Some of them have no springs, the follower on the governor is used to open the throttle through a linkage.

Kelly taught me to turn the phone sideways. But I was just taking pictures.:confused: