Perlite/Satanite Brick Furnace Lid Trial (by Fire!)

Discussion in 'Furnaces and their construction' started by Melterskelter, Feb 24, 2020.

1. Melterskelter

Melterskelter Gold Banner Member

Good thought. Bubble alumina mixed with a binder of Satanite might very well make a lightweight and very tough furnace. That may indeed be the way to go. I had purchased bubble alumina castable (expensive) to use for some components of the furnace. But I had not considered getting the more commonly available and cheaper bubble alumina and adding Satanite as a binder. Anyone know of a source of BA in relatively small quantities at reasonable prices.

Edit: I did find it on Amazon in a 50 pound quantity for about 150 bucks. The package size is a bit more than a cubic foot. So, denser by quite a bit than perlite. And much much more expensive by volume.

Denis

2. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

That's the best price I have seen by far. The usual source for small quantity is 2x that per pound but you can buy it in small qty already suspended in binder.

http://www.hightemptools.com/refractorycoatings.html

Ya-know Dennis, it might make sense to just cast yourself a segmented domed lid from a good castable (or maybe even plastic for ease of shaping) refractory for good structure and just wool insulate the rest.

Best,
    Kelly

3. Melterskelter

Melterskelter Gold Banner Member

That certainly is a very reasonable approach and one I have thought about. If I thought it would be an extremely long-lasting solution, I would do it. But, I am more and more impressed that nothing seems to holdup well in iron service. I do think the segmented lid would hold up better than the original monolithic one I made and it did last for quite a while. Originally, my idea of using perlite/Satanite in 12 segments for the lid was in good measure as a test bed for P/S and segmentation and angle of incline for segmentation. I am pretty sure that a very low incline angle (like 10 deg) puts too much compression on the segments as the lid expands and contracts. I am guessing 20 degrees may be about right.

I am thinking the wool/Satanite will also not be a permanent lid solution. But repair of area failures will be simple, quick, cheap, and incremental. A castable failure is “stop the presses” event that takes me a minimum of 10 days to fix.

So goes the quest for the optimal compromise, anyway.

Denis

4. The alumina bubbles are not as good a insulator as the perlite. I guess that is the price one pays for the temperature rating. KT may also be able to recomend a mortar/binder.